APC Forum

star plate question please

Merlin

I have been cutting stars but I have obtained a star plate. There were no instructions. Am I correct to think that star plate compositions would be very lightly moistened or would they be pressed dry. I am assuming the comp would be like that for a crossette. Thanks

You are correct in assuming that the composition is moistened with a formula appropriate solvent, much less so than cutting, I pump my SGRS bound glitters at about 6.5% pure distilled water. By the way, RTFM

How to use a star plate...http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/using-fireworks-star-plate.asp

This video might help as well

+1 Ned has some very good vids. If you follow his instructions to the letter, it is hard to go wrong.

+1 also to wildcherry, never saw a pneumatic 'gang pump' like that.

That pump seems really nice but wouldn't the stars get smaller and smaller as the comp runs out?

That pump seems really nice but wouldn't the stars get smaller and smaller as the comp runs out?

It looks like it would, but his results speak for themselves. Very creative and useful device indeed.

My apology for undue criticism in previous post.

Edited by Shunt

He is quite good. He does state in that thread that you need to refill the tub fairly often though, otherwise you guys are right, it would start to lead to shorter/softer stars.