APC Forum

Where is the cheapest place to get Best Quality tubes

Livingston

A friend and my self would like to buy a boat load of convolute tubes. 36" L 3/4 ID And 5/16 wall!! I make hundreds of different rockets and so does my friend /mentor.

Any leads where to go or look would be much appreciated.

The best convolute tubes are not cheap: http://www.hobbyhorse.com/pyro_tubes.shtml

Dagabu has used Marshall tubes for some things, I am not sure where he gets them.

Many of us have had great results using spiral tubes from: http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72_118

There has also been a nice tutorial posted here about rolling your own.

Edited by nater

Is it true that NEPT is closed? If so, where does Jim at Hobbyhorse source his tubes?

Are Phil's tubes still exactly 0.75" ID? The order I bought from him is too small for my Wolter 1lb set.

Contact Phil if they don't fit Wolter tooling and he will take care of you. A long time employee bought NEPT and they are still in production.

If you and Mark find a source I may be interested in buying some. The more you can buy the cheaper they are.

• Like 1

Contact Phil if they don't fit Wolter tooling and he will take care of you. A long time employee bought NEPT and they are still in production.

If you and Mark find a source I may be interested in buying some. The more you can buy the cheaper they are.

Ok great! I'm going to do a little research and get back to you.

I'm wondering if the tubes have to be made from Virgin Kraft can we use the ones made from recycled.

I'm wondering if the tubes have to be made from Virgin Kraft can we use the ones made from recycled.

If you are making only black powder rockets and they are hand-rammed you can save $$ and do fine with recycled.

The best convolute tubes are not cheap: http://www.hobbyhorse.com/pyro_tubes.shtml

Dagabu has used Marshall tubes for some things, I am not sure where he gets them.

Many of us have had great results using spiral tubes from: http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72_118

There has also been a nice tutorial posted here about rolling your own.

Marshall tubes are available at Pyrocreations.com but they are $0.80 each 7.5" long tube v.s. $1.04 each for NEPT.

@Pyrokid,

Yes, the original building is closed but the employee that made the tubes bought the machine and is making NEPT tubes again so no, they are not out of business.

Mel, the plant manager bought the business. I believe everything is the same (except prices). The website is still there, phone still works, email remained the same... business as usual (unfortunately).

That honestly is the one company that I hate to love...

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where i can find 3/8" tubes to make 2oz rockets?

roll em !!! :) they are so small it doesn't take much to do.. little tubes hand rolled turn out great !!

Thanks but unfortunately they don't sell 2oz tubes :( so Hand rolled or skylighter it is.

Hand rolling tubes is an infinitely useful skill in pyrotechnics. I've pretty much given up buying tubes because making them myself is so easy. A tad time consuming but if you dedicate an afternoon to it you can roll out a few week's worth of tubes.

Thanks but unfortunately they don't sell 2oz tubes :( so Hand rolled or skylighter it is.

Sorry, I could swear I have bought 3/8" spolette tubes from them that would work as rockets.

Precocious Pyro sells all sorts of tubes as well:http://www.pyro-pro.com/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

2oz rocket tubes from http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_118&products_id=531thats actually there special this month :)

Not everyone can roll perfect tubes right away, i still struggle its hard to keep the roll straight and not veer off specially when rolling thick tubes were many wraps and a long piece of kraft paper is needed im sure i just need more practice and because i buy my tubes now i dont get much practice lol

Edited by insutama

• 3 weeks later...

A friend and my self would like to buy a boat load of convolute tubes. 36" L 3/4 ID And 5/16 wall!! I make hundreds of different rockets and so does my friend /mentor.

Any leads where to go or look would be much appreciated.

If you need boatloads of different sized tubes it might be cheaper in the long run to build a machine to make your own. A 3ft x 3/4" id x 8mm wall with virgin kraft would cost less than $2 to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dag,

A pretty basic tube roller will do a reasonable job. The thing that doesnt get much of a second thought is how the glue is applied to the paper ;)

The real trick is applying an even film of glue to the entire sheet in a few seconds. Using a brush or roller will usually result in wetter/drier areas, longer dwell times at one end of the paper than the other etc, etc Small differences can cause alignment and wrinkling problems during the rolling process, especially with big sheets of paper. but have even more of an impact on the quality as the tubes dry.

If you roll a tube without any glue they`ll come out perfect everytime :)

I hope someday I can be the one to do this. I recently found someone looking to manufacture pyro related tubes!!!!!! I just need to decide which tubes to go after first to sell and then get some first run stock out for opinion.

Mark

Before you do anything buy a range of tubes that are already available and test them for tolerance and strength. Get your supplier to make up samples with the same id/od to test. You`ll be surprised by the results, some commercial 4.5mm wall tubes i tested were actually weaker than some with 1/8" wall :)