APC Forum

Click-tracking emails? (mandrillapp.com/track/click)

MrB

The new layout of the email message suggesting that it's time to re-visit the forum, is nice. But is this tracking thingy intentional? Asking since Thunderbird throws a fit, and accuses it of being a "phising email". The reason is simply that the displayed link to the forum, and the link you visit when clicking it, is different. If it's not intentional, it might be possible to change it, saving some people the mental anguish of having the mail flagged as a potential security issue.

Anyway, i guess a thank you should go out to Sidewinder, while on the topic. Continued efforts to give us all a home, is worth a few words. Thanks.

B!

Yes, we now use the Mandrill Mail service to relay all mail sent from the board. It's free for the 12,000 mails sent per month, and we don't get near that many so there is no cost to us.

It has far better reporting and bounce handling than the forum software or my server does, and mail bounces have become an issue. They have been for some time, actually, and I have less time to deal with it than I did in the past.

I was unaware that the link to the forum was rewritten, however, so I'll see if that's only optional or if it's required in exchange for the free service, and I'll update our Global Message to alert everyone.

But that redirect allows us to get better reporting, based on how "successful" are our mail deliveries, so I'm hesitant to disable it entirely.

Anyone whose mail client thinks this is phishing or spam.... it isn't.

Please set a white list rule in your client for the mails so they get delivered more reliably.

Thank you.

It has far better reporting and bounce handling than the forum software or my server does, and mail bounces have become an issue. They have been for some time, actually, and I have less time to deal with it than I did in the past.

The reporting and bounce handling might depend on the tracking.

I was unaware that the link to the forum was rewritten, however, so I'll see if that's only optional or if it's required in exchange for the free service, and I'll update our Global Message to alert everyone.

I admit. I googled it quickly before posting about it, just to find out what it was, and amongst the results, there was info indicating that it can be "restored to normal" while still using their service. As above indicates, no idea if the features you need depend on it tho. I suspect it might, but thats just me.

Anyone whose mail client thinks this is phishing or spam.... it isn't.

Please set a white list rule in your client for the mails so they get delivered more reliably.

Thank you.

Thats what all the spammers say. (o_0)

Just kidding, of course.

I for one already white-listed all forums i'm expecting messages from, so the messages ends up in my in-box every time. But the pishing warning is a on / off switch in Thunderbird, being white-listed doesn't affect it. But it also just just puts a big red banner on top of the message, so if your aware of why, it's not that much of an issue. But if someone isn't aware, it could be a slight problem, which is why i brought it up.

As i said, big props for the time and effort you spend on us.

B!

A bit of digging and voila. The click track link is now a subdomain of our site here, track.amateurpyro.com

And it's still free. ;)

A bit of digging and voila. The click track link is now a subdomain of our site here, track.amateurpyro.com

And it's still free. ;)

WoHoo! Your the snake!

I would say "your the man" but it's both an insult, and judging from your profile picture, wrong ;- ) Slither along now, you've done good.

Actually, i haven't checked the result, but i expect nothing but perfection from you, so i celebrate early.

B!

Edit

It's a win. Thunderbird recognizes that the mail uses online content, and blocks that bit, and lets you know, but the red flag screaming "Danger! Danger! Warning, Mr Robinson!" are gone. The blocking of online content is something it does for 95% of all mail, and IS a behavior that can be adjusted, so at this point i'd say your golden.

/Edit

Edited by MrB