APC Forum

Attaching Ball Shell Lift Cup

jrin0630

Quick poll- how do you attach the lift cup to ball shells? I glue them on with hot glue. Is there a preferred way to attach lift cups? Does it effect the operation of the lift charge in any way?

Thanks

I attach my lift cups in more complicated way than you do. I glue a strip of paper around the cardboard cup so that it hangs over the edge a bit, then I make cuts in the overhanging paper to form several tabs, which are folded back. I apply glue to the edge of the lift cup and the tabs, and stick it on. Often, I will glue the cup on bottomless (basically a short tube) then fill it once it is attached and cover the open end with layers of paper or a cardboard disk. I don't think there is necessarily a preferred way to attach lift cups, and I don't think it would affect the lift charge much unless your BP is on the slow side, in which case it would need good confinement to get a good launch. Some people people just dump their lift powder into a piece of paper, bundle it up, and tape it onto the bottom of the shell with good results.

I use aluminum tape and tape a sandwich bag to the bottom of the shell (with the lift inside). That way it's confined and tucked up close to the shell. I don't crossmatch.. I just split the timefuse with a utility knife, and plunge it into a small hole in the lift bag.