APC Forum

webski

I'm making some 5/8 and 3/4 rockets with homemade BP and hand rolled tubes.

Looking for some used tooling to get me started.

I've tried with wooden rammers and nails for spindles, but would like to upgrade without spending a lot (till Iknow that I want to continue this option).

Any used but usable spindles, bases, rammers that I could get started with.

thanks for any assistance that you might provide.

webs

Get a ben or wolther universal set, they are worth the money and if you decide to stop they can be sold for a good price.

There are several options for rocket tooling, let everyone know what size and type you want to build on the pyro sites.

Keep an eye out for tooling that comes up for sale on the pyro sites.

Read up on some tutorials on making your own spindles from brass bolts.

Graingers and Mcmaster sell SS taper pins which can be used for rocket tooling.

Ebay has pyro tooling listed on occasion.

How I can make nose of my rocket withwithout metal and dense things

Chand,

If its a model rocket, the larger ones do use metal, plastics and even steel hardware. For fireworks, the intent is to leave only biodegradable debris on the ground and to use materials that, when they fall from the air, do not have the capacity to do grave harm to people, material possessions or animals (eating or being hit by them).

Most responsible pyrotechnicians are acutely aware of the implications falling debris have so you will read very blunt responses like schroedinger's about the use of paper and clay in motors and even a small report to break the stick off the motors so that even the stick does not become a missile.

• 2 weeks later...

If it LOOKS correct , it should fly.. :) Throw a shell in the top of your rocket tube and it will be fine. All that figuring will just wear you out.. and probably not be correct anyway. nose cones are easily made from just paper, put enough layers on until it seems sturdy enough to work.

I have Thrown rockets together and have never had a bad one. used long spindle core burner motors.. man they are fun !!

As for fins.. again. if it looks symmetrical you shouldn't be far off.

after determining the cp and cg how to determing length and size and no. of fins

I always worked it the other way around. You need to know the length, size, weight and number of fins etc. first. A simple 2D cut-out can be very handy - then you can calculate what the cp and cg will be. If it's unstable you then need to adjust the fin size, position and/or body length or perhaps put some weight in the nose cone to tweak.

In other words, If you have already "determined" the cp and cg, then you would already know the answer, because you would have already worked it through to get there in the first place - if that makes sense. Sort of a negative reality inversion... Well Chan, I think you've finally done my bloody head in... :wacko:

Anyway, that's the way I've always done it - I could be wrong though and perhaps there's another easier method that's never occurred to me called "how long is a piece of string magic".

On a positive note, for what it's worth, this is a good free opensource software program that lets you design a model rocket and simulate altitude. Some may find it useful.

http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/

Edited by stix

HEY !!! I have used that site before I think!

Works GREAT! It is amazing how much weight a rocket needs in the top to fly correctly !!

Apologies to webski for keeping his thread off-topic. Hope you get your tooling sorted out.

Chand, If you have unrelated questions to the current topic, it would be good if you could start a new thread instead of always interjecting in others (many others) with your almost indecipherable gibberish :o Unless of course that is your intention. :whistle:

. . . Works GREAT! It is amazing how much weight a rocket needs in the top to fly correctly !!

+1

The extra weight can also help the rocket "coast" to a higher altitude after the thrust phase.

ps. I reckon that openrocket software could be used to calculate the final altitude at apogee of a standard "rocket on a stick with a ball shell on top" - although you would have to know the total impulse of your motors first... Interesting though.

Edited by stix

I'm making some 5/8 and 3/4 rockets with homemade BP and hand rolled tubes.

Looking for some used tooling to get me started.

I've tried with wooden rammers and nails for spindles, but would like to upgrade without spending a lot (till Iknow that I want to continue this option).

Any used but usable spindles, bases, rammers that I could get started with.

thanks for any assistance that you might provide.

webs

I've bought tooling from Caleb Kessinger and made a crap load of rockets with 4" headers!! You'll definitly get your moneys worth

These were my earlier ones!! I've made over 50 motors since the beginning of this year!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2xQDRIk9G9g

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Very Nice !

What are the length and Diameter of each ?

Are they for sale ?

I'm still trying to get a spindle that will cleanly and neatly release from the fuel core.

WEBS

Webs,

The tools are designed for 1# rocket tubes the spindle design is for multiple fuels.

I am working on a couple of spindle removers which is a collar that slips over the

pressed rocket motor and a longer screw is inserted into the spindle through the base

a few turns of the screw and it draws the spindle out of the motor. This makes it real

easy to press motors and remove the motor from the tooling. Total length of the spindle

from the base to the tip is 4-1/4" these work for BP, Strobe, Whistle etc.

Give me a week or two and I will make a set of tooling for some 8OZ and 4OZ motors.

I want to see how they turn out and I want to make a few stainless steel spindles

for the smaller motors which will be stronger then a small brass spindle.

I have some case formers I am also working on that need to be shipped out along with

over time hours at my regular job.

I will send you a message with further information.

• 1 month later...

Made a 8OZ tube support and hollow base to press the motors out after the fuel has been pressed in the motor.

post-11643-0-01215700-1434776031_thumb.jpg

Ahem....

Caleb has tooling as nice and with the same quality as Wolter or Smith.

I very much need to second this.

I just got a 1lb set from Caleb, custom made for my 7" tubes, and I am very, very happy. He's a truly talented machinist. Beautiful tools, and the attention to detail is amazing. The rammers are all bored all the way up to the holes for the t-handle, so if you forget to clean them between loads, the left over comp has a place to go. No Pass and Next Rammer marks machined into all. The spindle extractor tool is awesome; just a couple turns with the included Allen key pops it right out of there.

While I don't own any Wolter or Firesmith tooling, I can pretty much promise you that neither one has anything better than Caleb's rocket tools. Perfect is perfect,

He's also just one hell of a nice guy, as well,

WOW, uh... thanks.

Speaking of universal tooling made for seven inch tubes.. I happen to have one I just got finished with.. a few tubes cut to go with it also.

• 4 weeks later...
If I wouldn't have a baby on the way I'd ask to buy a rocket tooling set. Can't right now though so oh well. I'll try to get pics or vids of my fit stuff soon

• 2 weeks later...

looks great Mike!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

How can I have permission to view the picture? So interested in the stuff!

You should be able to do so jow after your first post.