APC Forum

Magnalium got mixed... Any use?

pyrodoc

Hi all,

I has ordered 150 and 300 mesh magnalium. Due to poor packing by vendor and as usual courier guy the two magnalium have got mixed.

Is it of any use? If no, how to dispose it of safely. If still of use, what all composition can I use it.

Pyrodoc

I would screen it with two different screens.

-150 mesh consist 150 mesh and finer magnelium & -300 mesh consist 300 and finer.

It'll almost certainly work for colored stars. Formulas may call for a specific mesh size, but most sizes can be used successfully. They may burn a bit faster if you use your MgAl in a formula designed for -200 mesh though. You might as well try it out in some different effects to see how things go before worrying about disposing of anything.

If you got a #300 mesh screen, you can just sieve out the fine fraction (Somd will stay mixed up).

But thats only interesting if yoh really need the fine stuff. Else just use it straight in color stars.

Colour stars will likely work with either or both sizes, strobes may need a finer cut. You could get a single mesh screen say 150 or 200mesh that would separate the two batches, but what is your local price for a screen compared with the cost of the MgAl that you have.

You guys are nuts! LOL! :D

Just use the mixed stuff as is, there is always a range to use for just about any comp and 150-300 just isn't going to matter. 300 mesh? :o

Anyone who is recommending screening through a 300 mesh has clearly never tried something like this themselves :)

• Like 1

You guys are nuts! LOL! :D

Just use the mixed stuff as is, there is always a range to use for just about any comp and 150-300 just isn't going to matter. 300 mesh? :o

The fine stuff can also give a more brilliant color, or make a strong vitamin f.

But thats the nice thing about mg, 60 mesh is the finest stuff really needed, maybe 120 mesh for small cores when rolling.

Anyone who is recommending screening through a 300 mesh has clearly never tried something like this themselves :)

+1

I will use the mixed stuff. Noted down all the MagAl based composition from this site.

I have 24,40,80,100,150,200,325 or 300mesh MagAl with me now.