Kclo4 33.6

Copper Carb. 8.4

Phenolic Resin 5.9

Hex. 4

Parlon 3

Copper benz. 3

Dechlorane 1

Copper Oxide Black 2.5

But before I mix up a bunch and make my stars I was wondering if any of you have videos of a shell burst so I can see if I like it first.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by MWJ

this was on my list before the fire. now i'll have to wait a while to make it..if, however you are just looking for a pretty blue, i'd suggest:

76% a.p.

14% cu benz

10% parlon

it's pretty deep but won't hold up to metallic fueled colors in brightness.

here is a video of this formula.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/4931-lactose-blue-or-conkling-blue/?p=130972

Edited by rogeryermaw

I do have some very nice blues but I would like to make these because all of mine don't stay lite with a 3" shell burst. I use 5:1 MCRH and no booster and they still blow out. So if anyone has tried this kitchen sink blue and has videos, I'd love to see them. All of the blues I have, Pyro Sci, Veline, Metallic, and B:49 work great in a star mine or star gun but not in a shell.

Sounds like your priming techniques need refining. I personally would work with that before trying different mixes, especially if it has as many ingredients as that one.

I had good luck with hardt sulfur blue #4 in 3" shells.

Wish I could tell you about the kitchen sink formula but when I asked about it, no one here said they had ever tested it.

Wiley, I have tried 3 different primes too. :) How do you prime your blue stars? I did get my Metallic blue to work once and I'm going to try it again. I would still like to see the Kitchen sink one. If no one here has a good video to see of the KS then I can try YT. :) Thanks everyone. You all have been a great help before.

Edited by MWJ

If you find it there, please post a link. I'd love to see it too. Honestly, I have my reservations about this comp...want to try it though.

Are you step priming your blues ? I have found that the chemicals need to be very fine in size , and a little metal present in the blue to get a easier ignited star. one approach is to prime with glitter about a 2mm layer . Filles in the break center .

I never got my metallic blue to burn in a shell either, step prime and all, threw them into a camp fire to burn them off...

The Kitchen Sink were designed by Dr. John to take fire without extravagant priming, nice deep blue with some ultraviolet hues. I made a few shells a few yaers back and the stars did well, I was hand firing so I didn't video them but if some body here is still on Passfire, maybe you could ask for some video of the kitchen sink blue, I know there were some shells with those stars back 5-6 years ago,

• Like 1

I feel your pain on blues blown blind . Let your stars dry completely then prime. 70/30 first step, 50/50 2nd step, 30/70 3rd step. Top with green meal + 5 silicon and you will have much better ignition. Stars are Pyro Sci, Prime is monocopa. You will see a touch of orange before you get the blue but at least the things light. Shoot them high and break them softly. Works for me.

MWJ, I did some extensive testing before I discovered why my blues weren't lighting in 3" shells. Once I figured it out, I have 100% success now. I have to give credit to Mumbles for guiding me to the answer though. I will bet you any amount of money that the answer lies NOT in the prime, but HOW MUCH prime you are using. Blues blow out easily.. thus.... if your star is still travelling too fast when the comp lights, it will blow out. I determined the amount of prime I needed by testing with the star gun. Using the gun, I was able to watch the stars up close. The prime was igniting and the comp was burning out until I finally had enough prime on the star to burn long enough for the star to slow down. With that being said, I also found that metallic stars (Veline blue) were less sensitive to speed than organic (PSB). So I finally settled on Veline blue.. it is a little washed out but it's a price I will pay as opposed to chasing my tail for months trying to find the perfect blue. LOL. I have no experience with AP stars as of yet. But from my reading, the AP stars are easier to light and make much better blues. And the fact that your formula contains Phenolic Resin, you are probably gonna have the best blue possible. :) Definitely post a video when you get em done. They will probably be epic. Oh and for what it's worth, the amount of prime I needed on my blues to keep em lit was 350g prime on 1000g stars. (Monocapa prime)

• Like 1

I do think that a comp needing nine different ingredients is OTT. But I'll respect your choice.

My favoured blue was

Kperc 60

Black copper oxide 10

Parlon 10

Hexamine10

This will bind with Acetone

Add

Dextrin 5

to bind with water

OR

Red Gum 5

to bind with alcohol

As a rocket header with some BP as break these didn't need a prime!

Another thing that could minimize priming is a layer of chlorate blue over a organic perc/CuO based blue, but Always remember incompatability's

Don't use this on AP stars, Don't combine chlorate and AP

AP stars must be protected from nitrate, if you pfefer BP priming, you could use a organic perc/CuO blue (such as pihko) as barrier layer, bind with acetone

Blue perc outer petal stars primed with chlorate layer:

https://youtu.be/pU5SKk3AdH0

I do think that a comp needing nine different ingredients is OTT. But I'll respect your choice.

It's not that it necessarily needed 9 ingredients to make a blue star. It was intended to be a complex formula for blue.

The original formula actually has 10 ingredients. The above formula is a modification by Bill Ofca, as listed on fireworking.com

It's not that it necessarily needed 9 ingredients to make a blue star. It was intended to be a complex formula for blue.

The original formula actually has 10 ingredients. The above formula is a modification by Bill Ofca, as listed on fireworking.com

Yes, that is true, your point?

My favoured blue was

Kperc 60

Black copper oxide 10

Parlon 10

Hexamine10

This will bind with Acetone

Add

Dextrin 5

to bind with water

OR

Red Gum 5

to bind with alcohol

As a rocket header with some BP as break these didn't need a prime!

Do you have any videos of this? And did you use these in a 3" shell?

Sorry MWJ this was a while ago so no video, the stars were about 5mm pumped and launched in a rocket header. They came second to an AP formula in a competition here in the UK. The Hexamine burns to all gaseous products so the flame is cooler which seems to help good blue colours.