APC Forum

Bleser Organic Red #1

cocktail76

I tried my hand at the red star formula bellow. The stars burn light red to pink. What can I do to improve the formula? Would adding a chlorine donor help? Parlon or PVC...If so how much?

David Bleser Red Star Formula

70 Potassium Perchlorate KClO4

15 Strontium Carbonate SrCO3

10 Red Gum

4 Dextrin

1 Charcoal Air Float

35% Alcohol

Is it Potassium Perchlorate in the formula, or chlorate? You obviously spell out perchlorate but your chemical name is the chlorate.

While there's already some charcoal in the formula, it might be an idea to try adding 1-2% lampblack to push it more towards red.

Is it Potassium Perchlorate in the formula, or chlorate? You obviously spell out perchlorate but your chemical name is the chlorate.

Yes it is Potassium Perchlorate. Sorry....

Substituting 2-3% of the red gum with PVC will significantly deepen the red. The original formula lacks a chlorine donor.

The charcoal is in there to make the composition easier to light.

Or you could use Potassium Chlorate, sucrose and Strontium Carbonate. It produces a pretty nice looking red but at any rate shouldn't this thread be somewhere else? This thread should probably be placed in a different section since it seems we are dicussing red formulas more than a "proven" red formula.

Here is my general on how much chlorine donor you should use when there is no Ammonium Perchlorate being used. Use as much PVC/saran/Hexachlorobenze/whatever until you notice a faint Hydrochloric acid smell from combustion. I consider that to be the optimum.

HMmm when I find my red formulas I will post them. Most of them have around 10%-20% PVC.