APC Forum

Enclosed screening jars

FlaMtnBkr

I started making these about ten years ago and it makes screening chemicals quite a bit easier with little to no mess. I know there is a fellow pyro that started making something similar in the last year or two but are expensive, a bit more complicated if I remember right, but probably a nicer product as well.

Basically I find a bottle with a flat bottom and wide mouth. I cut a screen in a rectangle that will divide the jar in half and runs vertically. It can help to notch the top so that it also goes into the neck of the jar and ends flush with the lid so there are two sides completely divided by a screen.

A piece of cardboard from a cereal box or similar can help make a template before cutting the screen. The first screen I used was aluminum window screen which works surprisingly well for breaking up clumps and some mixing.

Round bottles are easier to find but a square bottle works better. The screen goes from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner. Caddy corner if you will. This is better because you don't have to notch for the lid opening. And everything that is poured into the mouth is on one side of the screen. You can also easily reach into the mouth with a spoon or tongue depressor, etc to help break up lumps.

Shake the bottle and the contents get screened into the other side. Turn over and repeat. There is little mess and it's easy to quickly screen something a bunch of times. They are also cheap to make so you can have one for separate chemicals and not worry about cleaning each time. Finer screens can be used if you want to better mix a composition like BP. If the finer screen is flexible and doesn't hold shape well you can use a piece of window screen to stiffen it up so it doesn't bend under the weight of the chemical. You can also cut the screen a little longer so there is a bit of a bow in the center which gives it a bit more strength.

Just thought others might find this useful. Hopefully everyone can follow what I'm saying. If anyone thinks this would be better as a tutorial with pictures let me know and I will work on it. And if anyone makes some I would love to hear what you think!

I don't mind constructive criticism or ideas if something comes to you but they work well for me. Or if anyone thinks it's worthy of sharing feel free to do so, just please give me credit if you don't mind.

Ryan G aka

FlaMtnBkr

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Cutting Stainless Steel screens especially to dimensions of "bottles" is not that easy my friend, great job though on the experimintation, definetly saves money buying framed screens.

Interesting first post with that name.

Btw. The fuse tools are interesting, a set is more expensive then buying both as single units and read the description for a nice laugh.

Interesting first post with that name.

Btw. The fuse tools are interesting, a set is more expensive then buying both as single units and read the description for a nice laugh.

Are you implying that vendors shouldn't join forums to promote their products?

It's in the rules. #9 specifically. Not that they can't promote products, offer sales, etc. More that it can't be their only posts or sole motivation for being here.

It's in the rules. #9 specifically. Not that they can't promote products, offer sales, etc. More that it can't be their only posts or sole motivation for being here.

I see...

Thanks.

If I am not mistaken, This is the same guy who is working with Marc from thepyropro.com

Hi Guys. I am the originator and owner of Pyroshaker.com. This is my Product below. I do not work with Mark or anyone else. If you want some Ideas on great uses for my kind of screening system you can follow this link http://www.pyroshaker.net/demonstration-videos.html and see I have a bunch of free instructional videos on my website and you can see my original product in action. If you want to make your own I would encourage you to focus on making the screen as big as possible to allow for the fastest throughput. Notice that my screen goes all the way to the threads, there is no area of the lid that blocks material from flowing through the screen. No blocking in the lid and bigger screen surface area equates to faster screening and less work.

Good Luck!

Bobby

20150712_125210.jpg

Edited by Firebob
  • Like 1

We go through sets of these at work every week or so depending on how much material goes through the screens.

Meh... I used to have to change these screens every 2-3 weeks. Each deck has 4-6 screens, 4' x 8'. :)

[Video]

I was actually laying in a pool of hydraulic fluid, changing the sheer pins on the cone crusher the exact moment those planes flew into the twin towers. I remember thinking, "who cares, can't you see I'm busy!"

Life was so much easier back then... Miss those days.

Edited by ddewees

are there any adults here?Maybe those who make pyro,?Bobby was just floggink his goods.

Edited by screentoppers

are there any adults here?Maybe those who make pyro,?Bobby was just floggink his goods.

Wait who is flogging his goods?

the screen toppers are great ideas regardless who came up with it first im sure it was a though many moons before these guys..