APC Forum

Bad Safety Decision (non pyro)

gregh

I love hockey! I coach three of my kids in our local league as well as play in the adult league. Tonight was the first game of our spring season. In the kids league, a cage over the face is mandatory for all players under 18. Us adults, who should know better, have the option of cage, shield, or even just a helmet with no face protection. As the title suggests, I chose the latter for my game tonight because that helmet was more comfortable and seemed less restricting on my vision. Well, .........my nose is now shattered and will probably need surgery. There is a reason we make our children wear all the protection; this sport can be dangerous and you will get hurt without it. As an adult, we have the choice. The same applies in all aspects of life, especially in this great hobby of ours. Some our safety gear is hot and uncomfortable and as the weather heats up will become just downright miserable to wear. Please protect yourself, regardless of how uncomfortable or restricting it is. A busted face from hockey is a lot better scenario than a bad safety decision in pyro. You might get away with it once, twice, a hundred times, but you are playin' roulette with the devil. I know most everyone on here follows safety protocol and I am very happy about that. I hope everyone that reads this says "you're preaching to the choir!" Just take care of yourselves.

Thanks, Greg

PS: If this seems like its rambling, it's due to pain meds... :P

Ouch! That sounds painful. You're exactly right though, wearing safety gear is paramount in dangerous activities. Hope your nose heals well.