APC Forum

Where do you get star-rollers in EU?

Ubehage

I searched the forum, but didn't find anything on this.

Do any of you know where to buy star-rollers, or something useful for the job, in the EU?

You can build your own, for a small-ish one.

For the roller bowl: find a couple of large stainless steel salad bowls with rims, cut the bottom out of one and bolt the two together at the rims, then use a sealant at the joint on the inside.

For the motor, a used windshield wiper motor from a junk yard works well, if there are any close to you. If not a local auto shop of some sort might have or be able to help you get one.

Then a little bit of handy-man work with some wood to build a frame to mount the motor to, and bolt the bottom of the roller bowl directly to the motor drive shaft.

Last for a power supply, I'm not sure about over there, but here in the U.S. the wiper motor is a 12 volt DC, and you can use a computer power supply and modify it only a little to be a bench top 12 volt DC power supply that you can just plug the wiper motor in to.

• Like 1

Last for a power supply, I'm not sure about over there, but here in the U.S. the wiper motor is a 12 volt DC, and you can use a computer power supply and modify it only a little to be a bench top 12 volt DC power supply that you can just plug the wiper motor in to.

From a car it's going to be 12v pretty much everywhere in the world. From a truck it's likely to be 24v, And bikes / mopeds sometimes use 6v. Really old cars can use 6v as well, but i doubt anyone is going to grab a wiper motor from such a thing, and run it as a pyro tool. Oh, and from what i've experienced, these 12v ones will actually run on anything from 5 to 20v. The upper end not only turns faster, but also is more prone to overheating, so that isn't an option for long term usage. Also, your luck might influence the results...

B!

Edited by MrB

I searched the forum, but didn't find anything on this.

Do any of you know where to buy star-rollers, or something useful for the job, in the EU?

http://pyro-gear.co.uk/Shop.html Edited by Davidg1

Just build your own.

The easiest way is to buy a car front wiper motor (some rear wiper motors only turn 90º forwards and then run backwards).

Take a wooden board about 10 -15 mm thick 20 -30 cm wide and drill in 3 holes for the screws to hold the motor and one bigger in the middle for the shaft.

Now fix the motor to the board with the shaft sitting in the big hole.

Make a bowl either like explained above from two salad bowls or use a normal plastic bucket with strong walls. In the middle of the bottom you fix a MXscrew with a counter nut. Now you should be able see about 15 mm of the screw sticking out.

Get a tripple long nut to connect the drum onto the motor. Done.

All you need now is to either build a stand for the board (egg. Some legs) or just clamp it into a bench wise.

An easy option is to put two stones into a rectangular bin and put some old racks into it, this way you can easly adjust the angle for rolling. Make sure to not use anything flamable or oily racks. The bench wise in combination with a tbale with adjustable table is the best way.

• Like 1

Just build your own.

The easiest way is to buy a car front wiper motor (some rear wiper motors only turn 90º forwards and then run backwards).

Take a wooden board about 10 -15 mm thick 20 -30 cm wide and drill in 3 holes for the screws to hold the motor and one bigger in the middle for the shaft.

Now fix the motor to the board with the shaft sitting in the big hole.

Make a bowl either like explained above from two salad bowls or use a normal plastic bucket with strong walls. In the middle of the bottom you fix a MXscrew with a counter nut. Now you should be able see about 15 mm of the screw sticking out.

Get a tripple long nut to connect the drum onto the motor. Done.

All you need now is to either build a stand for the board (egg. Some legs) or just clamp it into a bench wise.

An easy option is to put two stones into a rectangular bin and put some old racks into it, this way you can easly adjust the angle for rolling. Make sure to not use anything flamable or oily racks. The bench wise in combination with a tbale with adjustable table is the best way.

Thank you for making it sound so easy :)

I lack the ability to think out Engineering myself, so this is very useful.

The motor from an electric wheelchair is very suitable, usually the shaft speed is about right without much controlling or belts and pulleys. For the drum look in "Indian" cookware shops, some nice alloy pots exist some get expensive and over big.

The motor from an electric wheelchair is very suitable, usually the shaft speed is about right without much controlling or belts and pulleys.

Not having any experience with such engines i get an instinctive reaction. Isn't such a motor way overkill? They should have a fair amount of torque to propel a human at speeds of those chairs.

The upside is, unless they "run away" with to light loads, they should be made for near continuous use, and not risk overheating. And a quick search on eBay seams to indicate that they aren't crazy expensive.

B!