APC Forum

Rolling Stars Vs. Pressed Stars

tradami

Should the comp change between the two methods?

For example:

Pyro Science Blue:
Potassium Perchlorate 66.1
Copper Oxide 13.4
Parlon 10.7
Red Gum 9.8
Dextrin 5

Total 105

some comps use less water (or whatever solvent) when pressed versus rolled or cut but i have not seen any that change the chemical ratios.

some comps use less water (or whatever solvent) when pressed versus rolled or cut but i have not seen any that change the chemical ratios.

Thanks! I've heard different things from different sources and I was just looking for some clarification.

• Like 1

As Roger says, the comp itself won't change, just the amount of solvent used to bind with. In this case water.

Often with pressed stars a "set" amount of solvent will be used, anywhere between about 3% and 10% of total weight added, depending on the comp (different comps will use differing amounts)

With rolled stars you just use what ends up working for a given comp, I don't think anyone weighs the actual solvent and uses only a specific amount, just spray on what you need with each layer.

and with Cut stars, often again a "set" amount is used, usually more than what gets used for pressed stars, but can also be done by "feel" once one has learned how moist to make a given comp for cutting.

Essentially only glitter type effects will noticeably change in appearance when made via different methods.

Also there are comps that arent suited for rolling, as they contain to big pieces like firefly al or coarse titanium.