APC Forum

Calcium Chloride

insutama

If i use this in socks and put it in the container with all my chems would it keep the moisture out or do i have to make a device to hold the Calcium Chloride so it collects water ?

It absorbs the moisture. A sock would work fine. Thinner is better.

calcium chloride will work as a desiccant and you don't have to devise anything special. a sock would work or you can bury things directly in it but that can be quite messy. calcium chloride isn't necessarily the best desiccant though. silica gel does a great job and you can get it treated where it changes color when it's saturated and it is simple to dry and reuse.

This would work if you put the CaCl2 into an closed system together with your chems.

The moment your storage container is not really airtight it wont help you much.

A sock would work fine. Thinner is better.

You don't need much exchange surface (IMHO).

I'd use a jam jar with a little hole in the lid. If your CaCl2 decides to become liquid after taking to much water the advantage compared to a sock should be obvious ;)

i have my chems in a rubbermaid bin with lid on and a sock full of Calcium Chloride

I use calcium chloride crystals mainly for storing sugar rockets - especially just after making them as CaCl2 seems to "suck" any residual moisture out very quickly. I have some motors more than 2 years old that are stored in an airtight container with the original CaCl2 that is still bone dry, but that probably says more about the airtight container they're stored in.

I've also used it wrapped up in paper towel and elastic bands (little baggie) placed in a small container to store stars. I would prefer silica gel to store stars but it seems unnecessarily overpriced compared to CaCl2.