APC Forum

Binder for Mg electronic match?

pcm81

I am currently researching thermite welding and i am setting it off using 425# Mg powder. I would like to switch to electronic matches, to increase the distance from me to the combustion chamber. I intend to use 32AWG nichrome wire tied to 18 AWG copper wire. Ni-chrome will be last 2-8 inches. I would like to attach some MG powder to the Ni-chrome tip to make a match that i can use to set Fe2O3+Al thermite off directly. My question is: What is the best binder material that i can use to create these Mg match heads? My background is in nuclear engineering, so don't be afraid of giving me "too much theoretical information"; the purpose of this whole endeavor is to learn something new.

If i can pump 2 amps through 32AWG NiCr wire it should heat up to 600C which should set off Mg tip. At-least that is the theory... I'll probably use 2x 9V batteries in series

Thanks ahead

I'd suggest using a thick nitrocellulose lacquer, should do the trick. Just make a thick slurry, dip the tips in. Repeat after some drying to build them up.

Edited by psyco_1322

Use a step priming.

If you really want to go with 32 awg try bp with nc/acetone followed by two dips of bp + 15 mg again nc/aceton. If this isn't sufficient further raise the mg content or put the match into a pile of mg (or mg + nitrate 2:1) on top of the thermite.

If the match doesn't light you have tl give it an initial coating of more sensitiv composition, first try H3, if that still doesn't work use dark flash.

Also you could raise the temperature of the match by using a thinner awg wire

Dip nichrome wire into chlorate/sugar/ fine mag powder slurry, after dry dip into mag/sugar slurry and finally into just mag powder slurry. Very hot fire- n/c lac is the slurry I used.

Personally I like the 50g bridge wire available on chips from ODA Ents in the USA when I can't get proper igniters. 50g bridgewires ensure that the firing characteristics are as close to commercial igniters as possible. this means that 20ma should be good for continuity checking and 500ma for 20ms should be good enough to fire them perfectly. This means that you can use long wires to get you into a safer area. http://www.oda-ent.com/Electric%20Match%20Heads.htm