APC Forum

Vertical Only Spiking

Wiley

While spiking some bottom shots for 1.75" cylinders the other day, I found that the only way I could use a half hitch to tie off the string was if I did a lazy spiral up to the top of the shell after putting on the verticals. Unfortunately, this increased the diameter of the reports more than I wanted, and the top end (with the half hitch on it) was bigger than the bottom, which made it a pain to roll a paper casing around the finished report.

Is there a way to spike only vertically? I had thought about finishing the verticals, making maybe one wrap around the time fuse, then using a half hitch to tie it off to the fuse. What are other folks doing to achieve this?

This might not be the answer you want, I size the bottom shot former and discs a little smaller so the finished report can be spiked as normal and end up the right size.

If you are using a paper core, then you should be fine tying off to the fuse-

What do you do about the different sized ends of the bottom shot? Mine wound up slightly larger on the half-hitched end.

For hard walled bottom shots I usually spike the verticals, then wind a couple of turns around the base of the spolette/fuse and finish it with a half hitch. Then I use a tube that fits over the spolette, or a piece of wood to ensure the twine is pressed down against the disk. After that, I apply a nice puddle of hot glue or hide glue around the spolette to fire seal it.

WB

I tried the method I mentioned (and the one that wonderboy posted) and it did indeed work. Built up a nice cone of string around the fuse, which looks like it could be very fireproof with the application of a some glue.

I have to pull the half hitch pretty tight to get it to grab; will this hurt the time fuse's performance in any way?

When I spike shells, I make a loop around the bottom, spike the horizontals while winding up and finish it with a loop of string and a half hitch the same as wonderboy posted above. The top and bottom stay even enough that rolling the casing is not a problem.

It is all strung tight, I yank hard against my spiking horse without breaking the string. The string is pasted which helps it grab too. I use spolettes and they cam withstand the pulling. I would think the asphalt in time fuse would prevent it from being choked off like QM can.

Edited by nater

Here's a 1.75" nominal bottom shot with the twine tied off around the fuse. Turned out nice.

post-12911-0-99955400-1425953551_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wiley

With shells this small you can probably get away with out spiking the BS. If you have a good sealing disk with glue, you could just paste the entire BS with a few turns of craft.

I may try that someday, but for now, I think I'll stick with spiking them. I'm still using a nitrate report mix, so the spiking really helps it get going.

I may try that someday, but for now, I think I'll stick with spiking them. I'm still using a nitrate report mix, so the spiking really helps it get going.

Gotcha ;)