APC Forum

Today's Experiment

Blackthumb

Charcoal from newspaper...easy...little dust...plentiful supply...sorry for the low quality photos...

post-10839-0-56842100-1425315127_thumb.jpg

post-10839-0-76776100-1425315183_thumb.jpg

post-10839-0-46691200-1425315200_thumb.jpg

post-10839-0-94642600-1425315215_thumb.jpg

post-10839-0-93378000-1425315235_thumb.jpg

Is that any good for bp? I haven't seen any reports of how it does, compared to say Pine or ERC?

I feel as though I've read that it makes excellet BP. I can't remember where I read that, and have never tried, so I can't attest to the credibility of it. Blackthumb, what says you?

It seems I've heard it isn't good for anything. I imagine all the resins that are left behind in the charcoal (that make it more than pure carbon) are washed from the wood pulp when made. If it was good we would surely all be using it and ransaking the neighbors recycling bins.

I imagine BT will let us know but since he stated it's "today's experiment" he probably doesn't have results yet.

VERY fast right out of the mill....anxious to granulate...will post results...

Easy to make and when the carbonized paper rolls are broken up, they are light and fluffy...hardly any airborne dust.

• Like 1

Newspaper charcoal works as good as willow...10% for lift...2f

I'm impressed...no more grinding and endless supply!!

...If it was good we would surely all be using it and ransaking the neighbors recycling bins...

:ph34r: I don't have any close neighbors, but am willing to commute.

:ph34r: I don't have any close neighbors, but am willing to commute.

I get more then i can use stuffed in to my mailbox on a daily basis. "By this, buy that - Blue thingy on SALE, only 9.99. This week ONLY, HURRY, or it might be TO LATE!!!" on newsprint quality paper. Pay shipping, and you can have all of it ;- )

B!

Edited by MrB

Are there anymore of the blue thingies left? That's a good price...

I remember the days when I used to cook newspaper... It does work well. Try cotton too, old jeans and socks.

I guess what I remember was the complaining about possible contaminants and fillers such as clay, silicas, Ti oxide, etc and the low yield. I would think most contaminants would be in the glossy color pages and not regular newsprint but sometimes there are some pretty surprising things done to save money.

If it works good that's great to hear. How was it tested and compared? What kind of yield did you get for the amount of paper cooked?

Smelly old socks are more potent. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Blackthumb, have you tried this newspaper charcoal in charcoal streamer formulas? If it can make both a nice brocade and fast BP, newspaper sounds just about perfect.