APC Forum

Help me settle on a red! :)

braddsn

Well, I thought I had settled on a nice red (skylighter cut star formula), but upon experimenting, it does not burn hot enough to ignite titanium. I rolled some stars with 10% Ti and there was no sign of the titanium at all. Mumbles and I conversed about it, and he thinks (and now I do too) that the comp was not hot enough to ignite the Ti. It is a very simple formula, consisting of KCLO4, Strontium Carb, and Redgum. So I am torn between 3 reds, and I was hoping the folks that are using these reds could chime in with the pros/cons of using them. I have searched the forums, and found some info but a lot of it is dated. I have narrowed it to Independence Red, Buell Red, or Ruby Red. I am leaning towards Independence Red, but am wondering if Sr(NO2) is a pain... as far as being hygroscopic, etc. Thanks for any input on this. From what I have read on the subject, Independence Red is SUPER bright.

I'm firmly in the ruby red camp. And once the stars are dry they stay dry like any other if stored in an airtight container/bag. My avatar pic is ruby red and silver ring.

• Like 1

I use the Independence Red. It is easy to make and very bright. I don't feel like the Strontium Nitrate is a pain. I don't use water to bind them and don't make them on humid days.
  • Like 1

Independence Red!!

Just impossible to beat.

Second choice would be Ruby Red. Lights easier and burns faster, but is not as bright.

Buell Red is OK, one of the best non nitrate formulas, but very much inferior to the Sr-Nitrate stars. A good choice if you live in a very damp climate.

IMHO one needs very bright stars with Ti, because the star's brightness is likely to get overwhelmed by the Ti Tail. Even if you get your Ti to light, adding Ti to a faint non-metallic fueled star is not a good idea.

• Like 1

Mabuse one of your posts in the past praising independence red came to mind when i was narrowing my choices. I keep hearing how bright it is.. and that is the goal for sure. Im gonna give it a shot! And i will start with a small percentage of ti and experiment... like maybe 4 or 5 percent.

Buell Red absolutely.

It is very bright in my opinion, just not too bright. Brighter would overpower all other colors in your show.

Very easy to make, pretty cheap, dries fast.

I press a lot of stars. I have found that Independance red was really slow for me and Buell was a little faster. Out of the three Ruby red would be my go to comp. A caveat would be a faster burning star for larger stars and shells and slower burning stars for smaller shells and stars. It is up to the fire worker to decide as all three have good color capability. Also adjusting the formulation of these comps can be done to fine tune them for color and or burn speed.

As far as strontium nitrate and its hygroscopic concerns, it doesn't bother me one bit. I've had stars in my mag for over a year and they burned fine and never turned to mush. If anything I control moisture exposure to the strontium nitrate itself by keeping the chem secure from exposure to the air when stored.

Mark

• Like 1

Independence Red can be slow, adding perc to it speeds it up to burn more like the Ruby Red comp.

Can some one share the Ruby, and Independence Red formulas? I've tried Buell Red a few times before, but wouldn't mind trying something else. Thanks.

I made some of Ned Gorski's Brilliant Red Rubber Stars and they're fantastic! Check this out:

http://www.skylighter.com/images/how_to/Rubber-Stars/red-star-burst.jpg

By his method you screen slice them, but I just used a big drywall knife to cut them into 5/16" squares after the comp is rolled out and they came out fine. One bonus is that you can shoot them the same day you make them.

Would someone mind posting the Buell red formula? I've tried searching for it, but to no avail.

EDIT: Is this the one?

Potassium Perchlorate 35%
Strontium Carbonate 25%
Magnalium (100 mesh) 14%
Parlon 13%
Red Gum 7%
Dextrin 6%

I too am looking for a nice bright red.

Edited by Wiley

Red #9

Strontium nitrate 55

Magnesium 28

Parlon 17

I subbed the mag with 100/200 mesh magnalium. Slower burning and very red. Sizzles.

Thanks. Looks like the Independence Red is nearly the same as the Red rubber stars from Skylighter, which I love. ;)

But if you are binding the comp with Acetone and no water. What role does the Dextrin play?

Dextrin does play a small role as a secondary fuel, however if you are not using it as a binder in this comp you can leave it out without ill effect.

Speaking of red.

Has anyone run across a formula that makes an almost blood red? It's very deep and not super bright. I've only ever seen it at club shoots that I know of but haven't tracked down a maker yet.

Speaking of red.

Has anyone run across a formula that makes an almost blood red? It's very deep and not super bright. I've only ever seen it at club shoots that I know of but haven't tracked down a maker yet.

A blood red or dark crimson is on my list of things to try. After talking to BBM at a club shoot a while back, he suggested starting with a purple and shifting the chems more to the red side of the spectrum. I haven't been able to try it yet, but it seems to be a good place to start. I was planning on starting with an organic chlorate / strontium carbonate comp and go from there.

Edited by nater

Speaking of red.

Yes

Chlorate,Strontium Nitrate and fine shellac creats blood like red.