APC Forum

Enan's collection

enanthate

This is amazing! the strobe made with AP?

Edit: Oh, I read now, these was the forgotten stars.

Edited by nt8

Wow, I'm impressed with that red strobe. It's very very good. Interested in the formula, if you're prepared to share.

I'm waiting for strontium nitrate to test what formula and mgal I used. I didn't want to publish a formula with the video that wasn't correct. So keep in mind, the following info might be wrong (but probably is correct!).

I suspect it was stibium's red nitrate strobe formula, using #250 mgal. If it was, I most probably ground all chemicals in a coffee grinder like allways.

Primed with a very thin layer of Pinball prime.

Red nitrate strobe

Strontium nitrate 65

Potassium chlorate 10

PVC 3

Copper oxide 1.5

#250 mgal 21

Bind with NC. Adjust amount of Copper oxide to stroberate(more is faster).

Pinball prime

KP 75

Charcoal 15

Red gum 10

Silicon 2

#250 mgal 4

Dex 6

Can be used with plain mgal or silicon, or other metals. 6 parts in total.

On a groundtest the strobes were just a tiny bit faster than in the air, and extremely non-uniform. They seemed to perform much better in the air.

Enanthate, absolutely awesome man. You nailed it!! Was that bleser blonde to red strobe? I am jealous of that strobe. :)

• Like 1

That's an interesting red strobe comp, can't say I've seen anything along that line. Do you know if binding with dextrin or anything else effects how it performs? Excellent little shell!

Thanks, yes its bleser (with feti I think).

I dont know how it would perform with dextrin.

Do not get this comp in contact with sulfur, in case a beginner should see this formula and give it a shot. Prime with Pinball first!

For what its worth, I just tested the formula with barium nitrate. No good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av04JpDbjnc

The strobe with barium nitrate, and contain perchlorate, not chlorate.

Irregular strobe rate, and heavy ignition if fly.

I put this strobes with thick prime in many NYE shell ( pistil stars), but lot of star didn't ignited, the thick prime became glittering shit in the middle of the break.

BUT, your red strobe is excellent!!!

Edited by nt8

Thanks, yes its bleser (with feti I think).

I dont know how it would perform with dextrin.

Do not get this comp in contact with sulfur, in case a beginner should see this formula and give it a shot. Prime with Pinball first!

For what its worth, I just tested the formula with barium nitrate. No good.

Well that sucks you can't turn it green, I was gonna try the same thing.

I'm pretty sure a green is possible. Look on Fireworking as that is where I originally saw these nitrate strobes mentioned and discussed. I let my subscription lapse so I can't go try to find it.

I know somebody mentioned green in the thread I got it from, he claimed he just directly replaced strontium with barium. I did so, and got a strobe rate of 0.2hz (white).

nt8 your green color looks quite good! Did you use my formula? What mesh mgal?

About ignition, do you prime when they are still wet with acetone? I have found that pressing the prime into the wet dough makes it easier to ignite. Silicon also helped.

In fact, if I'm not wrong, I think I primed the first layer with 50/50 pinball/strobemix, then pinball, then pinball/bleser.

Edit: My red strobe also had irregular stroberate like your green, but mine was a bit faster. Put smaller mgal or more CuO.

Edited by enanthate

I know somebody mentioned green in the thread I got it from, he claimed he just directly replaced strontium with barium. I did so, and got a strobe rate of 0.2hz (white).

nt8 your green color looks quite good! Did you use my formula? What mesh mgal?

About ignition, do you prime when they are still wet with acetone? I have found that pressing the prime into the wet dough makes it easier to ignite. Silicon also helped.

In fact, if I'm not wrong, I think I primed the first layer with 50/50 pinball/strobemix, then pinball, then pinball/bleser.

Edit: My red strobe also had irregular stroberate like your green, but mine was a bit faster. Put smaller mgal or more CuO.

Yes, I used same composition, except the chlorate, I used perchlorate and 250 mesh MgAl (from p.garage)

I use already the wet dough prime method at all my cutted stars. Therefore I don't understand these why don't ignition.

Well, my green test did noy ignite from lighter. I needed a flametorch. Maybe its the barium.

Did you use pinball with si?

Will try your comp tonight.

Well, my green test did noy ignite from lighter. I needed a flametorch. Maybe its the barium.

Did you use pinball with si?

Will try your comp tonight.

I used pinball similar prime (I try to use less perchlorate, where I can. The magnalium is easier obtainable and much cheaper as the perchlorate for me ) My hot prime: 60/15/15/10 KP/C.coal/MgAl250/redgum. This ignite all my color stars.

Enanthate, what are you using to film with? Video quality is nice!

It is, isnt it?

Bought a new phone for christmas, Nokia Lumia 930. Ive tried iphone and android, both for several years each, but this Nokia beats them any day. Camera, software, practical use, all of it.

Edit: I just watched your videos, and while I cant say much about how the colors appear compared to reality, I can say that at least part of the problem is focus. Try to set your camera\phone to endless focus if possible, otherwise some manual adjustments might help.

The Nokia does it for you straight out of the box tho ;)

Edited by enanthate
  • Like 1

I also had a second try with ring and bowtie yesterday (first try failed to ignite), its not great but at least igniting now. Next is to experiment with booster.

http://youtu.be/UxTpGCOiTnQ

Ignitionissues solved with an outter layer of fast bp +5% woodmeal.

Very nice man!! I am pasting some shells as we speak that are experiments with booster. I am trying slow flash booster dusted onto the hulls. Fingers crossed, I will video the shells tomorrow eve. :) Good luck with your boosting, let me know how it goes.

What where the stars in the matrix shell, glitter with dragon eggs? Looked good. The 3" wasn't bad either.

Edited by psyco_1322

Cheers brad, will upload a couple videos soon, im starting soft with slowflash.

Yes psyco, its glitter with eggs(0.5-1mm).

Todays work below. Excuse the ugly canister, its my first and didnt put much effort in its looks :)

post-18744-0-14509800-1425940190_thumb.jpgpost-18744-0-12111300-1425940220_thumb.jpg

Nt8, 3 of the canisters are pure melilac. Cant wait! Im just hoping i didnt put too much booster now.

Edited by enanthate