APC Forum

Earthen fountain, first attempt three varieties.

pyrodoc

Great collection of fountain cases Pyroind. Can you please let us know which one is of what size ? I guess size of Tubri's is still measured by the old "poa","kaccha", "chotak" units

hi sora,

in todays market most guys even the shop owners do not know the difference between a kaccha, chattak , hari etc etc. old timers like me and some of my friends and seniors still do it the old fashioned way. the actual chattak is the third one from left and also the fourth one. they vary in color because one is just made of clay the other one is a competition grade made with sand as a component. the first one is sold as chattack in most shops but its a smaller one than the actual chattak. yes i do have some kaccha but they are not shown in the photo. will post one. but this year i could not complete the entire gambit because of sudden illness of my father. will post the process next time.

the sizes are as follows from left to right:-

1. smaller size chattak

2.actual chattak

3.actual competiton grade one churi/chattak (as measured in competition)(with sand)

4. one churi normal.(without sand)

5. 2poa

6. 1 seer

7. 2seer

8. Haanri(pot)(approx 2.5 to 2.75kg kg of composition is required to fill the pot) burn time slow batch 1 mins approx, fast batch 34-36 secs..

• Like 1

i heard that there has been a pot made to hold 8 kg of composition in nungi in budgebudge for a kali puja committee for their bhasan i.e immersion. the pot was made by Anil pal and it was 3 times the size of the largest one shown in the pic. will try to get one next time..but it has to be ordered two months before kali puja.

• Like 1

BP base + 10% C + 10% metal

thanks niladmirari will try it onece. but feti70 is not available here..will try it with magnelium...

• 2 years later...

Hello All,

Last night I've joined this forum & found that this group is very informative & understand that senior member do help everyone to fulfill the dream of juniors with pyro hobby.

I live in West bengal and around 400km away from Kolkata, persuing this hobby for the last 7-8 yrs so have just some basic understandings.

My problem is I can't make a Tubri that is equivalent to competition grade, it bursts, that is my dream to get such immense height and spectacular spread.

Following is the specification, process & composition that I've followed. Seniors kindly help.

1) Earthen pot measuring 10inch by circumference at the widest part at the body, 4inch in height.

a) This pot I ordered & purchased from local potter.

B) Pot is made with earth only, properly burnt not mixed with sand while making the dough of clay. Is that the reason of burst?

c) I widen the exhaust to 10mm.

2) Pot is inner coated with two level of sand but I'm not getting heat resistant Mica so can't coat with mica.

3) KNO3 is fine but not milled.

4) Charcoal purchased from market, it is airfloat & Sulfur is also fine both are not milled.

5) Using Iron tips.

Composition-

5/1/1 6/1/1 17/4/3 11/2/3-----KNO3,S,C

In above compositions I've added 42-45% tips with 5-8% BP.

Lot of chemicals wasted but success didn't came.

Seniors please help me.

Hi Pyroind,

Please elaborate what wd40 is and its uses for making tubri.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

@SKC, In Calcutta you'll get WD40 there in Barabazar or other big hardware stores .It is used to coat the iron so as to prevent rust formation.

"Charcoal purchased from market"

Unfortunately I've had bad results from charcoal purchased from the market. Best is to make your own charcoal which I used to do earlier.

Edited by sora

Hi Pyroind,

I'm very much on Tubri.

Can you just elaborate what wd40 is?

Because I need to preserve various sizes of assorted ms particles in separate containers for at least 5-7months. Its a little tedious job to assort different sizes of particles and such a waste if gets rusted.

Thanks Sora,

I'll try to procure wd40 when I visit Barabazar this month.

hi guys,

nice tubri by pyrodoc. i liked the third one. usually i avoid the aluminium chur i.e. flake which makes the final composition fluffy . For silver effect i go for magnelium. it also gives a better height then the al. but my favourite is the iron filing one which give u tremendous height and a lot of sparks which cover a large area.. check this video for the last year. a brief description is given in there. will post a detailed video for making the same this year, diwali is just round the corner and preparation is on. the largest one is supposed to hold approx 4 kg of composition..will post pics soon..

i would suggest pyrodoc to try a iron filing fountain with the 20 mesh iron filings..he will just fall in love....i am sure. and the gerb below in the video has large filing to gather the height. and sorry for the colour change the phone camera is not upto the mark will get a better video this time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHK9D7jXPb4

Hi Pyroind,

Have you posted a detailed video of making the same. I'll be waiting. If you post please tag me or share the link.