APC Forum

Earthen fountain, first attempt three varieties.

pyrodoc

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at making fountains. I am very happy with the results. I had sealed the Base with fullers earth mixed with gum in first two pots and then, with pop in others.

• Like 2

Enjoyed all three fountain.

Best of luck...!!

• 8 months later...

hi guys,

nice tubri by pyrodoc. i liked the third one. usually i avoid the aluminium chur i.e. flake which makes the final composition fluffy . For silver effect i go for magnelium. it also gives a better height then the al. but my favourite is the iron filing one which give u tremendous height and a lot of sparks which cover a large area.. check this video for the last year. a brief description is given in there. will post a detailed video for making the same this year, diwali is just round the corner and preparation is on. the largest one is supposed to hold approx 4 kg of composition..will post pics soon..

i would suggest pyrodoc to try a iron filing fountain with the 20 mesh iron filings..he will just fall in love....i am sure. and the gerb below in the video has large filing to gather the height. and sorry for the colour change the phone camera is not upto the mark will get a better video this time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHK9D7jXPb4

Aluminum and MgAl are melted by burning fountain. The melting point of aluminum 660С, the melting point of MgAl 463С. The combustion temperature BP 1500C.
Liquid metal drops are formed which react with the BP to form slag, it plugs the nozzle. Another problem - part of the aluminum burns inside the fountain and produced too much heat. Therefore, burns and broken cardboard casing fountain.

The metal should only heat up the combustion BP. The metal should have to burn due to atmospheric oxygen. Therefore fountain is better to use metals that do not melt at a temperature of combustion of the fountain.

Therefore, it is the best choice - Ti, TiFe (70%Ti), Fe3C (crude iron), Fe.

Edited by Niladmirari

I am not much on fountains, but i liked those.

Thanks pyroind and Mike.

@Niladmirari, nice information you provided me. Is there a home made way to coat iron filling. I like to keep my stuff for some time after making them.

Magnalium can be coated with dichromate which I heard is a nasty stuff

I've read several threads about treating iron with linseed oil. Not sure on the process but it's been recommended by many people.

hi pyrodoc,

try wd40.available in most big hardware store.if its not available you may try zorrik by pidilite.i have used both and it worked for 7 days at least in the pot with the mix. also u may try to keep them longer in the pot but i have not yet tried it for more than 7 days. place the iron filings on a large piece of thick plastic sheet (like flex used for printing) and spray the wd40 on the top then turn the filing by using the sheet and coat them again. try to be uniform and don't over do it. i have seen wd40 inhibits the burn rate slightly if used too much . i have successfully kept hard to get iron filing of a specific size for 2 years in a sealed jar with this method.

And by the way linseed oil is very difficult to get rid of from the filings. over time it hardens and forms lumps..whereas wd40 completely gets absorbed in the iron.rest is upto u.

• Like 1

niceeeeeee fountain pyromaniac...were you touching the flame and sparks in FeTi70 fountain?

Yes. Sparks is not hot. The hand feels fine.

Hi niladmirari, can u shed some more details about that feti70 fountain...will love to try myself

These are the variuos sizes of terracota fountain that i am gonna make this diwali..post-13997-0-59646500-1446883245_thumb.jpg
  • Like 3

They are being readied for charging the composition...their outlet nozzel are to be widened...need to make them strong also to withstand the high pressures and the kno3 has to be milled, charcoal to be milled ...lots of work very little time...

Great collection of fountain cases Pyroind. Can you please let us know which one is of what size ? I guess size of Tubri's is still measured by the old "poa","kaccha", "chotak" units

Hi niladmirari, can u shed some more details about that feti70 fountain...will love to try myself

fountain

BP base + 10% C + 10% metal