APC Forum

Sugar Rocket Issues

ryandgarrison

KNO3/Cane Sugar... Meh, I just snap the jar into a bullet blender and plug it in to turn it on/off. Just don't turn it on by twisting the bottle onto the blender, and you'll be fine. There is a very rare chance some of the stuff will get stuck around the blade shaft, heat up, and ignite in some models. Never had it happen though.

With a plastic blender jar, if it ignites, it's not much more interesting than a frying pan of the stuff lighting up over a propane burner. The burst pressure on those plastic bullet blender jars isn't that great.

Now, 100g of F going up in a bullet blender on an extension cord... That is exciting. Took us half a day to figure out where the motor went. Turns out... It was a foot and a half down in the ground. All the plastic was completely shattered. You figure we could just follow the wires, they were shredded. Somehow it completely re-buried itself in dirt as it sunk into the ground.

That was really a puzzler for a bit. I was the most mystified as to where the motor disappeared off to.

Edited by usapyro

You know... I'm not insulted. I had been doing that :wacko: I am ordering a very accurate gram scale and that will make the composition much better. That is my main error so thanks so much!

Well, at least you admitted it Eli. We all start somewhere. You'll find most (if not all) the compositions on this forum are by weight, not volume.

An electric coffee grinder would be a good investment. For safety reasons I don't advocate grinding both fuel and oxidizer together with the grinder. However, the grinder will at least let you grind down the KNO3 to a fine powder. You can then mix it with fine powdered sugar, ie. pure icing sugar. I think that's correct. You can get confectioners sugar, which is the same fine powder with 3 or so percent of cornflour or similar added to help stop clumping - I think.... It's been discussed before on this forum.

How well you incorporate/mix both ingredients together will determine how well the fuel burns. As suggested, you can add some red iron oxide to the mix if you find it doesn't burn well/fast enough.

[EDIT]: Actually I think the cornflour is there to help the melted sugar "set" so best to avoid that type for sugar rockets.

Edited by stix

• 1 year later...

Hi I am also new to rocketry and this is the first time I have replied to a post.

I have read that the best practice regardless of what size stick you decide to use is to balance the stick to the rocket.to do this you need the proper length of stick .And after you attach the stick to your rocket motor it should balance on your finger 1 inch back from the nozzle end of your motor.good luck.

• 10 months later...

hey guys, im pretty new on this rocketry stuff and i was trying to make my first shey guys, im pretty new on this rocketry stuff and i was trying to make my first sugar rocket with some pottasium nitrate but the attempts i have made were just miserable i have made were just miserable, i was wondering how can i fix this, im using powdered sugar with some pottasium nitrate i got from an local agrochemical store, but i really dont know how pure its my nitrate neither how to puryfied, i have been using a 65:35 percent ratio of nitrate to sugar, if i could get some tips it would be awesome, by the way im from a non english speaking country so if im doing some mistakes on my grammar then let me know im open to corrections!