APC Forum

Buying Chemicals From Pottery Supply Stores?

LiamPyro

Hi, I was just looking at an online site for a pottery supply store in my area, and realized that they have a lot of materials that are useful in pyrotechnics. One of them is black copper oxide, which I just happen to need for some blue stars. I was wondering if pottery-grade chemicals would be pure enough, or if I'm better off buying them online? Thanks!

Yep, most of them are pretty good. Not always super pure, but I've never had anything not work. The one main thing is that the carbonates tend to have some sulfate and sulfide in them, which can make them unpleasant to work with when being used as chemical reagents. Not a problem for pyro though.

Copper oxide has always worked great for me. Copper carbonate isn't as pretty physical color wise as some of the pyro supplier stuff, but the flame colors are just as good.

Alright cool! Definitely a good opportunity to save some money. It's actually interesting just how many things they have that are used in pyro... barium and strontium carbonates, bentonite clay, various metal oxides, sodium silicate solution, CMC gum, etc.

bentonite clay

If the name of the game is "save money" how about kitty litter?

All the cheap stuff for the kittens toilet is nothing but pure bentonite.

B!

• Like 1

Alright cool! Definitely a good opportunity to save some money. It's actually interesting just how many things they have that are used in pyro... barium and strontium carbonates, bentonite clay, various metal oxides, sodium silicate solution, CMC gum, etc.

Read and black iron oxide under a buck a pound locally at the pottery place. They used to see KNO3 too but some kid bought a #50 and got caught with it it, a bag of dusting sulfur and a bag of briquettes three years back and the cops pressured them to drop it.

If the name of the game is "save money" how about kitty litter?

All the cheap stuff for the kittens toilet is nothing but pure bentonite.

B!

That's true... I already have bentonite clay though, so I wasn't planning to buy it from the pottery shop.

Read and black iron oxide under a buck a pound locally at the pottery place. They used to see KNO3 too but some kid bought a #50 and got caught with it it, a bag of dusting sulfur and a bag of briquettes three years back and the cops pressured them to drop it.

Wow! Under a buck a pound? The stuff at my local shop is $4 a pound, and $6 if you want the pure stuff. Fortunately, I found it cheaper online. Black copper oxide sells for $10 a pound, which seems semi-reasonable. BTW that sucks that the store near you was forced to quit selling KNO3... I find it odd that the police were able to do that just because of the kid with the BP chems, it's not illegal to own them or to make black powder! (I think)

Our local hardware store sells red and black iron oxide at $8/kg

used as a concrete colourant

I tried that, it did not work well at all. I think there are other chems in there as well.

Yeah, I think those pigments have charcoal and maybe clay in them in addition to the iron oxide. The stuff sold at my local harware is pure charcoal, I believe.

There should be a MSDS info bit available, at least on request, for those pigments, which should be fairly telling.

B!

They don't have to list inert or propriety ingredients if there is nothing reactive about them. Fillers, stabilizers and anti clumping agents do not have to be listed and they can be a huge detriment on its use pyrotechnically and perhaps on purpose.

It will still have to list the percentage of "active" components though. I'm sure they're not all created equal. There are probably different blends of pigments depending on which shade you want exactly. There may also be some processing aids. It's cheap and not hard to find in any case.

Do you think there are retarders in the mix? I got a bottle of the quikcrete red color years ago, before I found the red iron oxide at the pottery store and it didn't work at all.