APC Forum

H3 burst questions

Pyrojack84

Im new to shell making and i was wondering if you make h3 burst do you apply it to rice hulls as you would with bp? And if I used H3 on a 2.5 inch shell would I need a booster?

H3 is a good thing to coat on hulls. It gives a consistent size ( which is critical to fast burn speeds_). No additional booster is needed. If starting materials ( kclo3 and ch(preferably paulownia) ) are super fine ,then the speed and ease of ignition is great. One can bind the comp to the hulls via. srgs or dex.

Yea what he said....lol... H3 is a very sensitive and powerful burst. i was told its good for small shells up the 4' being the largest!!! I was taught to use a 4:1 ratio... meaning for every 100 grams of rice hulls use 400 grams of H3

It's actually not very sensitive for being a chlorate comp, assuming no contamination. Definitely less sensitive than KP.

I stand corrected!! thanks mumbles for clarifying!!!

4:1 is a good ratio, if you use it on 4" rather go for 3:1 as it is a really strong charge.

Also i find it works better if you don't use rice hulls, but grass seeds as the filler.

Thank you I will keep all of this info in mind for making my shells thanks!

4:1 is a good ratio, if you use it on 4" rather go for 3:1 as it is a really strong charge.

Also i find it works better if you don't use rice hulls, but grass seeds as the filler.

Hey are you using your grass seed as is or do you boil it 1st? I have heard folks do both, for diff reasons. Im sure being a chlorate comp it will be less likely to live through that poison , but a nitrate comp may promote the seed to open.... I know this is probably not the case in reality , but each one has their "wise tales".

I never boiled them. Just soaked the seeds for 10-20 minutes then tumbled 'em in in BP/H3. Spread them out as a single layer. Never had a problem with sprouting they are dry the same day or next morning.

Thanks .

I have seen consumer shells with a type of tree seed coated in burst .Seems quite effective. Must be abundant thing in their region. I prefer the low cost of rice hull's myself. When making 50+#'s of burst a year not much competes with hulls. But There are some times when cotton seed or other medium is a must( pattern shells etc) . Kind of fun to see what folks use these days.