APC Forum

first attempt extra bright aluminium torch

pyrodoc

Extra bright torch

Source: rec.pyrotechnics

Comments: According to the original text: "An aluminum torch of heretofore unheard of brilliance and giving an illumination, in the 2.54cm size, of what is said to be 100000 candlepower". Testing with paint grade aluminum revealed that it burns very bright indeed at a steady slow burnrate and with little residue. It is easily pressed in tubes.

Preparation: Rub the Vaseline into the barium nitrate. Mix the sulfur and the aluminum separately. Then mix it with the barium nitrate/vaseline mixture. A starting fire mixture is required for ignition. The 'starting fire #1' composition can be used for that purpose.

Barium nitrate....................................38

Mixed Aluminum....................................9

Sulfur............................................2

Vaseline..........................................1

I am not.very sure about the word mixed aluminium so i.used aluminium dust as per local pryos here.

Thats what I'm thinking. Too much vas will cool the burn and not allow the temp to reach a cozy warm 3000+ to fully burn the aluminum. I may be wrong but aluminum will burn at lower temps but will really only "glow" at the edges until spent. Creating a more yellow color.

I will post the pics of aluminium used once i reach my workshop. Next time will try to decrease the amount of vaseline.

hmmmm....where are your PPE gloves?

I would imagine 'mixed aluminum' means mixed mesh sizes or a wide range of particle sizes.

It also mentions that paint grade aluminum was used successfully. This is usually around 325 mesh bright flake aluminum that is covered in stearine or oil to keep it bright colored.

1 percent Vaseline isn't much and probably hard to incorporate. It would probably be a lot easier to melt the Vaseline in a solvent like paint thinner like how whistle fuel is made. Then you have a lot more volume of liquid which makes mixing into the powders a lot easier. Then allow it to dry and use.