APC Forum

3" Tiger Tail

braddsn

Here is a 3" Tiger Tail I fired tonight. Was mainly testing for star sizing. This is the first 3" TT I have made. Previously I had only made 4". I glued 2 blue stars to the shell for the fun of it.. to experiment. :) Normally I wouldn't have a blue rising star on a TT.. it takes focus off of the break... but I was just playing around.

• Like 1

P.S.... I pasted 12 layers on this shell. It made a difference from 8 layers. It broke super hard. It's hard to tell by the video, doesn't do it justice. But if you listen close, you can hear the echo from the treeline about 3/4 of a mile away. :)

What is the burst ? And what ratio is the coating on the medium ( hulls , etc) . ? 12 layers is a lot, and may make the shells too tight for the gun. I believe that a 3" should be 8 layers. if I recall . I prefer to do less time in pasting and just add a small amount of booster to aid in the larger breaks. I prefer the whistle for this as it doesnt flash and distract from the break. Hot flash is next in line to a good booster , and only barely adds a bit of a flash to the initial break. Slow flash seems to get the worst eye blinding effect. ( on the subject of boosting) .

As a side note , blue and charcoal stars are a nice complement in a shell. I like a pistil of blue and a backdrop of charcoal, or glitter. One effect that looks nice is blue cores and either ch or glitter as the 1st comp. = Full looking center of the break with a highlight of blue outside that ( very attractive )

Pyrojig... my burst is 7:1 meal coated rice hulls. I experimented with boosters in the beginning, in my first few shells.. hot flash, and I was blowing a lot of blind stars. When I took the booster out of the equation and started using just mcrh, with better pasting, that's when I started getting pretty shells. So for me, thus far at least, boosting only hindered things. In the same breath I will say, initially I was not priming properly either.. which could be the reason that I was blowing some blind stars. Either way, I am really getting my breaks dialed in nice without booster at this point. I may experiment with it again someday. As far as pasting... my 3" shells have 1/4" clearance in the guns, and that's even WITH 10-12 layers pasted. A while back I posted a question about it, because it seemed like too much clearance. Several folks responded saying it was normal, and some ppl said that some 3" hemi's are smaller than others, etc. Either way, I decided to paste at least 10 layers to make up for some of that. I also read an article where someone (maybe Ned G. ) said that there is often a lot of clearance with 3's, and to just use a straight 30g of lift for all 3's. It's strange because with the 4's that I have built, with 8 layers pasted, they fit nice and snug in the guns.. they fall to the bottom slowly when I load them, because of air slowly escaping around them. Anyways, I am rambling now.. HAHA.... speaking of blue looking good with charcoal, I couldn't agree more. Here is a video of my 3rd ever shell. It is TT to blue, The stars are not great, but it was literally the first batch of stars I ever rolled. Someday I will roll another batch of TT to blue and do em right. :)