APC Forum

BP ignition temperature test results

Ubehage

Hello, fellow pyro-guys and -girls :)

I'm not sure if this post fits into "Safety" category, so I decided to just post it here. An admin may move it, or notify me, if needed.

A few months ago, I had a minor accident, as some of you may have read ;)

So I decided to perform some scientific-method tests, to accurately determine at which temperature BP will ignite.

There tests are now done, and I have some results that I am willing to call accurate and final:

Please note, that these results are made with 75:15:10, made with devotion to the final product. I do not have any knowledge if other compositions will burn at the same temp :excl:

And I also know, that "sloppier" mixes will most often burn at a slightly higher temperature.

Anyway, let's cut to what you are here to read:

At a temperature of 217C (428F), BP may spontaneously ignite after 2-3 minutes of constant exposure to the heat.

At 350C (662F), BP may ignite after just 1 minute of exposure.

At 405C (761F), BP will ignite within a few seconds of exposure to this temperature.

I hope this information can be valuable to anyone else than me :D

Have fun, and remember to stay safe!

I don't mean to disparage you, but "scientific-methods tests" are kind of meaningless if none of the science or methods used are included.

• Like 1

That is interesting. Thanks, Ubehage! Although of course I would never plan on drying anything at that high a temp.

I washed some pine charcoal to see if that would noticeably improve the quality (it does not.) I dried a small amount in the oven at 350 F, and it started glowing.

• Like 1

I washed some pine charcoal to see if that would noticeably improve the quality (it does not.) I dried a small amount in the oven at 350 F, and it started glowing.

I will try this. :)

To me, it does not sound very plausible that the glowing should come from any kind of fire.

More likely, it's a difference in the reflection of any light, as the coal was drying and heating.

Pine charcoal seems to vary. I have made bp with pine charcoal and it didn't perform well (same as hardwood in fact). I know douglas fir made really slow bp.

• Like 1