APC Forum

Pressure Relief Valves

nater

I am looking for a pressure relief valve which I can adjust using a computer or arduino board. Certainly such a thing exists, although it might not be cost effective to pursue. My goal is to make a controller for my press and be able to literally dial in a target pressure on the fly or select a program for each device and drift I am pressing at the moment.

Were talking electric powerd, hydraulic press, i assume. These guys should be able to help, but i somehow doubt it will be cost effective.

Just thinking here, but a electronic pressure sensor, and simply have the Arduino kill/pulse the pump for dwell-time, and then reverse the flow, might be a bit cheaper, then a relief valve kit, while essentially doing the same job?

B!

Yes, I have considered a pressure sensor and have an arduino push the forward and reverse signals as well. On Fireworking, Lloyd recommended a computer controlled relief valve for many reasons, but I am not even sure what I am looking for.

Did you ask Lloyd where to get one? He is very helpful and will tell you if he knows. I have his email if you need it.

Would your board have enough voltage to trigger a solenoid? Could you have a pressure sensor that the board monitors and when it gets to the desired pressure if opens the valve?

That seems like it might be easier than a valve that has a built in pressure selection.

I think solenoid controlled pressure relief valves are pretty common? Just trying to brain storm a bit.

Would your board have enough voltage to trigger a solenoid?

It doesn't have to. Just needs enough to trigger a relay switch. It adds a component, and slows the reactions down a couple of ms, but i think that could be within reasonable limits.

B!

So if I am on the right track, I would need a solenoid controlled pressure relief valve and a pressure sensor in line between the pump and cylinder. Then a simple script to energize the solenoid when the target pressure is reached. Is that correct? Prices here are between $400 and $500 for the valve alone, one would still need to add the cost of a pressure sensor, plumbing and electronics. There is also searching for surplus or second hand to save money.

I don't have experience with this stuff just so you know so I don't know what all is out there or what it is capable of.

Northern Tool has some that look like they might do the trick. They all seem to have the same description so I'm not sure which would be the best fit. Also not sure how much pressure you are going for or the flow rate.

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200329553_200329553

• 2 weeks later...

I would also check Ebay, It is worth the time to do a search and sort through the matches you may find

a solenoid valve that will work for a lot less money compared to $400.00.

If you wanted to keep it simple I would think that you could use a proportional relief valve. Basically when you are operating the press you would adjust a knob (on a potentiometer) this would inject either 0-10 volts or 4-20 milliamps (depending on the valve chosen or found). As the input increases the pressure would increase. There are some pretty fine adjusting pots out there. So what you would need is the potentiometer, a power source, proportional relief valve that fits your manifold, longer bolts to accept the new valve (for a sandwhich type valve stack).

If you really wanted to utilize a controller there are many options I'm sure. Even a cheap PLC with an analog output card would work. Depends on what you find or what you really want to have as a final product.

Mark