Photo
- - - - -

Casting KNSB with surfactant - what are your experiences?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 mabuse00

mabuse00

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

I haven't done any further testing since then..

My last tests in 1lb motors never did produce any thrust. I had no time to reveal what was the problem, maybe it wasn't the sodium laureth sulfate but something else...

#22 bmcpeak363

bmcpeak363

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

I would like to ask the opinion of those who have been making their own HP rocketry sugar propellant for awhile. I have test fired and had 2 successful launches without anything exploding. My question is that i am considering buying the data acquisition package that includes the load cell from Aerocon. I would build a test stand for it.

I am hesitant to spend the money on that. Would rather buy chemicals and rockets. :)

Do you think it is needed to proceed safely? 

#23 stix

stix

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, Model Rocketry, Programming, Photography

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:10 AM

No, I don't think you need one to proceed safely.

A test stand and software is useful for checking the consistency of your motors. With the measured data you can also do calculations to predict altitude.

I just start the conversation - someone else has to question them.

#24 yelloj

yelloj

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:53 AM

"can be poured without the use of surfactant if one uses granular KNO3 as one gets when purchased".

Does this mean Prilled? Thanks.

When I purchase KNO3 I buy it in 50 lb bags from hydroponics type fertilizer supply houses.  This KNO3 always comes as a fine crystalline material much like table salt.

#25 yelloj

yelloj

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

No, I don't think you need one to proceed safely.

A test stand and software is useful for checking the consistency of your motors. With the measured data you can also do calculations to predict altitude.

I would like to ask the opinion of those who have been making their own HP rocketry sugar propellant for awhile. I have test fired and had 2 successful launches without anything exploding. My question is that i am considering buying the data acquisition package that includes the load cell from Aerocon. I would build a test stand for it.

I am hesitant to spend the money on that. Would rather buy chemicals and rockets. :)

Do you think it is needed to proceed safely? 

If you are using KNO3/sorbitol motors you really do not need to do a lot of testing via a test stand.  This propellant is really quite well characterized.  If you size your nozzles to deliver a Kn of ~ 300 - 350 you will have no problems.  If you want to experiment a bit with other sugars or additives then you will want to use a test stand to characterize your propellants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users