APC Forum

Does galvanised steel sparks ?

whitewolf_573

I am planning making some drying frames for the Drying box / chamber i will make, and get some perfored sheet for make star sizing screens frames.

For drying frames is galvanised steel ok ?

For star sizing, galvanised steel, better not to be used no ? (Better stainless steel or aluminnium)

I understand that for star sizing is need aluminium or ss , and not use galvanised steel.

I have found a german store that sells round perforated sheet, aluminium sheet, in 1.5 , 2, 3, 4 and 5 mm diammeter holes. In square rounded holes they have also 10 mm.

Galvanized steel also has 8 mm diammeter. But better not use galvanised. So 8 mm and more than 10 mm better get some al or copper sheets (thinner enough to drill them at home) and make holes with a manual drill ( i have not a dril press one)

A quick spray paint and you should be fine on star sorters and screens.. Unless you use your stuff very roughly or in a production environment.

For drying screens galvanized can be used but will eventually rust and need replacing. I'm not sure about the product you're describing but it sounds like it may be expensive?

In the US we have something called hardware cloth that comes in different sizes and is a galvanized screen. I imagine it should be available around the world in hardware stores? It is also fairly cheap so it can be cheaply replaced once you have the wood frames. 12"x24" seems to be a popular size for the wood frames.

http://bit.ly/1CznHnO

-I'm not trying to be a jerk with the link but the Google link was very long for some reason and this was neater.

Wood frames and wire mesh screens work well, galvanized will rust, you could use a layer of kraft paper in the bottom of your drying screens. Stainless Steel mesh screen will last a life time compared to the galvanized mesh which will rust over time from the moisture contact of your compounds drying in the racks.

Thanks Mikee,calebkessinger and FlaMtnBkr for your help :)