APC Forum

armstrong mix ?

insutama

anyone ever use any of this stuff for fireworks ? apparently its a mix of match heads and the striker pad (red phosphorus and potassium chloride) im sure its quite unstable kinda like flash i dont know much about it just was wondering if anyone had any information about it and its uses.

\Do some more research, Armstrong's mix should never be used in pyro in place of any bursting powder. It's also a big red flag when you don't even know the proper chemical names, the only use i can think of for anything similar to Armstrong's mix is for cracker balls or torpedoes, and even then the mix is never (at least it shouldn't be) handled dry while assembling.

This is one compound you better know how to mix, handle and store.

Many people have been seriously hurt from this compound over the years.

I think Armstrong's mix is used in those toy caps, if you call them "fireworks" (they are more novelty/toy fireworks). I have no idea how they make them so they don't explode during manufacturing, but I would never attempt it myself. They are quite powerful (probably HE) and extremely sensitive.

ya thats kinda what i was wondering how they make caps like they must mix a bunch at a time and you would think that would be super dangerous

ya thats kinda what i was wondering how they make caps like they must mix a bunch at a time and you would think that would be super dangerous

I'm sure they mix it wet, and in VERY controlled conditions. Those kinds of compositions are very friction sensitive, but aren't prone to spontaneous combustion, so they can be stored with some degree of safety.

It is much more sensitive and dangerous than flash. I don't think it was even used in torpedoes because it is too sensitive. And torpedoes are no longer made/legal because they were too sensitive and dangerous. It is never used in traditional fireworks.

If you think how easy matches light and would be mixing the match and striker together but using chemicals that haven't been slowed down as in the case of matches and are more sensitive and explosive, I hope you realize the dangers.

If you are going to insist on making stuff that goes bang then make 70/30 flash. It isn't safe but is a lot safer than things like Armstrong's mix. Better yet would be TPA 'safe' flash or blue aluminum flash. You will be much better off to wait on things that go boom and make something pretty or a bunch of rockets until you learn to safely handle energetic materials. If you want to read some stories about accidents and how they can happen to even very experienced people I can send you some links. If you have a strong stomach there are pictures and videos that should really highlight the dangers.

It's also a great idea to read about accidents and how they happen as well as everything you can find on safety and incompatibilities and take notes so you remember better and you can frequently glance over it to remind yourself. I still do this even after almost 15 years of making pyro. No one is born knowing this stuff and it is up to you to learn it and stay safe and alive with all body parts intact.

• Like 1

i have no intentions on making this mix i just asked because i was curious about it thats all. Sure send me some links please

Even bp is pretty dangerous too. One spark and they go off. Then there's ball mill exploding as well, for compositions that we safely hammer on all the time. Be careful out there.

Armstrong's mix is sensitive enough that a tap on it with a chopstick could set it off. It's not quite as bad as nitrogen Triiodide (where a fly landing on it could set it off) but it's pretty sensitive.

If you're curious about something, try spending more than 5 seconds looking for information on it before asking us to spoon feed you answers. Every single thing you ask about is well documented, and also tends to be exceedingly dangerous.

• Like 1

anyone ever use any of this stuff for fireworks ? apparently its a mix of match heads and the striker pad (red phosphorus and potassium chloride) im sure its quite unstable kinda like flash i dont know much about it just was wondering if anyone had any information about it and its uses.

1. No! And yes.. It is used in Party Poppers and percussion caps.

2. It is one of the strongest non-HE in the world. And definitely the most unstable. Stay away from that shit.