APC Forum

Ikea case formers

schroedinger

If someone needs a new 3" case former. Ikea sells perf sized pin roller. Predrilled for time/spolette. You only need put your favorite finish onto them. If you want a handle on the former, no problem two are included.
  • Like 1

Yes thats the one i have. Actually the 2" must is a wrong numer the 6 cm is much better. My measures 6.2 cm diameter which is 2.44 " and is the right diameter after coating it whith some laquer. Edited by schroedinger

It probably is also not bored to the correct size for a spolette, with or without a flash bag . . .

Mike!!! I want sum!!! Beautiful !!!!!

Cut pizza slices of wood. Glue em together. Turn on lathe. I'm just guessing based on the look, but i think he plans these pretty good before turning them. If you cut all the pizza slices the same, you'd get thin high squares on the handle. They are pretty close to the same size all of them, so he cuts fewer slizes to make the handle from.

The dark brown stuff between the squares on that one... Not sure, i'm thinking it's a resin, but thats just a guess. What ever it is it doesn't seam to soak in to the wood and discolors it a lot.

The concept is something like

only he's making bowls, so he's not making the slices meet in the middle. The paper layer magic is just a bonus.

Anyway, thats how i would do it.

B!

The process is similar to making a segmented vase or bowl. You need to make a sled for your table saw with a jig

that cuts precise angle segments. The multicolored case former uses two types of wood (walnut and maple). The wedge

segments are made of maple and the accent pieces are made of walnut, these are glued together in a pie shaped layer

and each layer is allowed to dry and then each side is sanded smooth and flat.I use rubber bands or metal band clamps to hold the segments together tight while drying I also lay them on a flat glass surface to keep everything as flat as possible on one side. When you stack and glue the layers together you put a layer of the accent wood between each pie shaped layer. I use a 1/4" dowel to stack all of the layers on and place it in a hydraulic press with a little pressure on the stack to squeeze the excess glue out and level the stack. Let it dry for a day in the press and it is ready to turn on the lathe. The center gets drilled out for the flash bag hole and vent hole so you can use any kind of small dowel to stack the pieces on, this keeps everything centered around the dowel.

There are several other methods that can be used for this process, the pine case former was made from 3/4" square pieces glued together to make a flat board and a 4" hole saw was used to drill 3/4" thick round segments. When gluing the 3/4" pieces together I try to minimize the amount of end grain facing outward by the direction i cut the pieces on the table saw. Each of these round segments are sanded smooth and flat on both sides and multiple layers are stacked and glued on a small wood dowel. This glued stack is then placed in a hydraulic press with a little pressure applied to squeeze the excess glue out and press all of

the layers together nice and tight and parallel. Allow to dry 24 hours and it is ready to turn on the lathe.

Damn, i thought you cheated when making the dark sections on the one above, it doesn't look like wood. But your right, it's really the same thing as making the bowls.

And damn sexy.

B!

• 2 weeks later...

Your an artist in wood working! Those are beautiful! I'm going to try to make one when it gets warmer in my shop.

Jakenbake,

My wood scraps go into a TLUD cooker and I get free charcoal.

I also use wood saw dust in cylinder shells to fill voids when needed.

I also mix a binder for saw dust and press the slurry into hockey pucks that I turn on a lathe into lampare tube caps.

Some day I might make a slurry with resin and make a composite case former from a mold.

Back in the old days they used to use a wood dust slurry for making cherry bombs.

Right now I am busy making some round wooden balls for several people that will use them on a wasp to make their own shells.

Plenty of uses for wood and the byproduct in pyro.

Here are some wood forms I am making for several people to be used on the Wasp machine so they make their own paper shell casings. I can make these up to 12" in diameter.

post-11643-0-92711000-1424581826_thumb.jpg

mikee,

Can i just use a whole saw of 2.5" cut the circles out and clue them together, sand them and then stain them ? i dont have a lathe , or money to buy a lathe or buy a case former , I do own a drill press to drill out the holes with.

Thanks

Stay Safe and Stay Green

~Steven.t

I use pvc pipe. with turns of paper to bring it up to size.. hot glued a disc on the end and bam!!! cheap and easy...

I WILL have a shelf full of MIKE's formers some day!!!! :)