APC Forum

Anywhere to shoot aerial shells in CA?

LiamPyro

Hi guys, I have a bit of an issue...

I live in California and just started to get into building small ball shells (2 inch), and I realize there's no where to set them off without attracting unwanted attention (I know this from experience😳). Are there any dedicated shoot sites or places where it's legal to set off fireworks around here? BTW I set off my first two 2 inch ball shells last night... they were stunning! *Perfectly* round breaks and beautiful stars. One was C-8 and the other was C-6+FeTi. Unfortunately, I failed at filming both, one was blurry and the other was off camera for the most part😡. Also, the beach patrol didn't enjoy them as much as I did... Yikes!!

Hi guys, I have a bit of an issue...

I live in California and just started to get into building small ball shells (2 inch), and I realize there's no where to set them off without attracting unwanted attention (I know this from experience). Are there any dedicated shoot sites or places where it's legal to set off fireworks around here? BTW I set off my first two 2 inch ball shells last night... they were stunning! *Perfectly* round breaks and beautiful stars. One was C-8 and the other was C-6+FeTi. Unfortunately, I failed at filming both, one was blurry and the other was off camera for the most part. Also, the beach patrol didn't enjoy them as much as I did... Yikes!!

Other than going out too the desert, there really is no "safe" place too test devices in California. You are much better off joining a club if you want to do pyro legally. Look into the WPA we have 2 major events a year, and 2-3 small events throughout the year. The next shoot is feb 12-16 in Lake Havasu City AZ where you can LEGALLY manufacture and test your devices.

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Ok, thanks. As far as club gatherings go, can you bring pre-made devices or at least components (stars, BP, etc), or do you have to make EVERYTHING on site?

At least you will need the license for transporting everything towards the shoot site.

It you don't have it you can get into real trouble if you have an accident or get pulled over by the police.

CA sucks period. They hate this hobby and make it next to impossible to get and maintain a license (I will be more likely to set foot on the moon than to be able to legally practice my hobby here). There is no place where you can set off fireworks legally, you either need to go to the desert, the hood (no one gives a f**k and the police wont respond), abandoned rock quarry, or find a guy with a big ranch who will let you set off stuff on his property

Edited by AldoSPyro

At least you will need the license for transporting everything towards the shoot site.

It you don't have it you can get into real trouble if you have an accident or get pulled over by the police.

I see, that makes sense. Thanks!

CA sucks period. They hate this hobby and make it next to impossible to get and maintain a license (I will be more likely to set foot on the moon than to be able to legally practice my hobby here). There is no place where you can set off fireworks legally, you either need to go to the desert, the hood (no one gives a f**k and the police wont respond), abandoned rock quarry, or find a guy with a big ranch who will let you set off stuff on his property

I absolutely agree! I wish they at least had areas or remote beaches or something where it was legal... DAMMIT!

• Like 1

I absolutely agree! I wish they at least had areas or remote beaches or something where it was legal... DAMMIT!

Yeah are you in north or south, if your in south I would recommend going to the desert. If youre up north in San Jose pretty much everyone sets off fireworks on the fourth and 1.3g is very common there, so if you want a place to shoot on the forth, you'll blend right in.

Same im in the sf bay

Edited by AldoSPyro

It will likely take less time and money to get back from the desert than the get back from the police HQ.

Good point