APC Forum

Homemade fuse

insutama

Well were i live visco fuse is 1$ a foot at the local gun shop however they alway seem to run out and its kinda hard to get. I have made my own fuse with KNO3 and Sugar that worked not to bad but defiantly not nearly as good as visco seems to go out alot and it is not waterproof. I just tried making back powder fuse its still drying so im not sure how well its gonna work but basically i put some black powder in a container and added a little amount of water till it was a black paste then dipped in 100% cotton twine and then strung it out to dry but like i said i havent tested it yet so im not sure how well its gonna be. Does anyone know of a good way to make fuse thats comparable to visco or that i can rely on for my rockets ?

You shouldn't take any risks with it, but using it for rockets wouldnt bother me personally. That is, as long as your rockets are relatively safe and normally launches successfully. Keep your face away from it obviously.

My BM burns with a very stable speed, at about the same speed as visco. Like I said, I wouldn't take any risks with it.

Cover the twine well with BP.

i soak the twine in the slurry of blackpowder and water still drying ill let you know how it worked

Fusing a rocket with blackmatch could be hit and miss, it`d only take a bit of wind or a stray spark for it to skip. A safer option for a reliable delay. is a spolette that ignites the blackmatch.

that fuse i made with the black powder did not work very well kept going out must not of had enough bp in my mix

It's probably not dry yet. Give it a couple more days. It will feel and look dry a day or two before it really is.

You could try Nitrocellulose laquer instead if water based BP slurry. If you happen to have it. Still i wouldn't recommend black match for safety fuse. It can skip inches really easy like mentioned above. Maybe you can order visco from abroad?