APC Forum

Blue Touch Paper

patsroom

Boy am I full of questions today! I have heard of Blue Touch Paper you know light the Blue Touch Paper and Retire,

Well I know that the paper is blue and that the paper has been soaked in potassium nitrate. I also know that it is used as a fuse in fireworks. But I have never seen what commercial paper looks like when it has been light and the way it looks as it burns, so I am asking someone who has commercial Blue Touch Paper to make a video of some burning so I can compare it to what I make. I know that my touch paper is not the same as commercial touch paper but it works for lighting things with a short delay. Well Thank You for your time........................Pat

I'm not sure what commercial stuff is like, but mine burns with no flame and fairly quick "smoldering". It almost appears to dissolve when you light it, except it has a glowing orange edge.

That sounds pretty much like mine. But I was wanting to compare it to the real thing and see a video of it burning. One thing I like to do is to rub it into a sparkler mix that I made from Tubro-Pyro, just dusting it and rubbing it into the paper shaking the over amount off then using that as my main touch paper fuse. Looks pretty too when it is burning..............Pat

Be careful not to use too saturated a solution for soaking your tissue. If the touchpaper is generating beads of liquid KNO3 when lit, it may smother the glowing edge.