More rocket tests today.

#1182 Ferret

Ferret

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

Strobe rockets are so cool  B)

That last one was a whistle mix? It sounded kinda like a high-frequency strobe on camera. 

If i'm not mistaken, all strobe rocket mixes are AP based right? Are there any non-AP strobe rocket mixes that still work? 

#1183 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:30 PM

I've developed a nitrate strobe formula that works quite well. My goal was to eliminate potassium dichromate and AP. It works quite well but not quite as good as the original.

The above rocket isn't a strobe rocket but it certanly works similar, its a perchlorate based fuel called galcit.

#1184 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:40 PM

An old school BP motor I made today.
  • Ferret, Ubehage and fckiamdead like this

#1185 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:50 PM

#1186 pyrokid

pyrokid

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:Pyro, soccer, guitar.

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

Please share construction deals and composition for the galcit rockets and the nitrate strobes! Thank you for posting videos.

#1187 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:04 PM

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk
These are my notes for the galcit strobe motors. It uses sali whistle, galcit and AP strobe fuel. A complex build but they stack up to normal AP strobe effect and far exceed the lift capacity.

I will draw up the details for the nitrate strobes eventually. They are made with Whistle and nitrate strobe fuel the exact same way as normal strobes are made and use the same tooling. They have comparable thrust to a standard BP coreburner but the effect isn't quite as good as galcit or AP strobe.

Edited by NeighborJ, 25 March 2019 - 08:09 PM.

#1188 Piccaso

Piccaso

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

I have found a new material to make fireworks out of today. I am an auto tech by trade and have to learn to fix things with whatever I can when restoring old cars. I do tons of electrical work and use lots of heat shrink tube. So while working under a dash today I had the thought of using it as a casing for pyrotechnic compounds. Now granted it is not super cheap but it is waterproof and shapes it's self to the size you need it, it will also compact things and hold pressure. I have used it to patch airlines to move equipment around the yard till a permanent fix can be made. I tested out a couple of things today with what was laying around and it seems to hold promise. I can't use it for aerial stuff because of the litter issue but I made a quick lance out of it today and have a couple of other ideas. I will post them when I get one perfected. I am using this stuff from Waytek .

Polyolefin Dual Wall Heat Shrink

Edited by Piccaso, 06 May 2019 - 09:42 PM.

#1189 Sulphurstan

Sulphurstan

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

After several months without pyro, I rolled some jopetes blue and veline red stars today. Excited to smell the red gum and dextrin again 👍

#1190 Fuzzpluskc

Fuzzpluskc

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:48 PM

So. I've finally done it. Broke down and bought my first real pyro book. Went to ABE Books and bought a new copy 4th edition of F A S T.
I've decided that I'm going to take this pyro thing to the next level. The web is great for a lot. But there is something to be said for a good well written book/manual. And everyone says this is the one to start with.

Thank you to everyone on this forum. All the shared advice, expertise, and discussions I've read over the last 2 years have helped to keep me safe and have given me a plethora of ideas.

I'm sure I'll be asking for help in the future. But for now I've got some reading to do and tooling to buy and make.
  • chuckufarley and Sulphurstan like this

#1191 pyroguy1030

pyroguy1030

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy pyrotechnics of course, but while I'm not doing that I usually am skating or practicing drums.

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:54 AM

I haven't done any pyro in about 8 years and I've been drooling to get back into it. Today I bought a ball mill and some misc. Chems. I made a few hundred grams of BP and rolled some tubes for rockets. The house I bought had an old lathe and mill so, I bought some brass and aluminum stock so I can finally make my own tooling. I can't wait to be shooting off rockets and shells again.

#1192 Mike71

Mike71

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:My 3 boys.. pyrotechnics.. grilling.. playing
    Drums... learning

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:05 PM

Making quick fuse
Hate making quick fuse
Messy

#1193 Sulphurstan

Sulphurstan

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:12 PM

Usually make 3 inch ball shells on rockets.
Today, made a 4 inch ball shell, and weighted it... Too heavy for my rocket motors... 😖
I DEFINITELY must begin with mortars, for replacing the expensive and weight limitations big rocket motors...

Edited by Sulphurstan, 11 June 2019 - 03:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users