APC Forum

new toy

ddewees

Very nice, great for charcoal too. No mess. I like it! Good find.

Would be great for sorting metal sizes but not with those screens.

Would be great for sorting metal sizes but not with those screens.

what kind of screens would work?

excellent snag!!

Thanks WC, never seen you say anything nice before. :P

what kind of screens would work?

Thanks WC, never seen you say anything nice before. :P

I would think just a set of home framed regular SS screens from McMaster. Nothing too special. The US Standard sieves are kind of, well, the standard!

US standard sells stainless and brass (or is it bronze?).

This unit has stainless screens.

Are you saying it won't work, or isn't necessary? Wouldn't you be forced to shake your arms off using home framed screens? The whole point of my purchase was to get a clean lazy man's screen process.

Edited by ddewees

No, no....use the homemade framed screens on the vibrator platform. Hmmm, is the shaker made to specifically use the USS round screens?

Maybe I over estimate the cost of the USS screens but assumed they were more expensive than home made screen. Just thinking it may avoid destroying a set of nice USS screens by metal particles getting caught in the finer mesh sizes if you should screen some metals.

addendum - thinking of the stackable screens like Paul Moulder uses that lock into each other with pegs.

Edited by Bobosan

Yeah, this thing is made for those screens, but could be modified. I'm not even sure how much I'll use it, it just seemed neat.

My son already has plans for a school science/geology project.

Hmmm...I see an earthquake proof building design in your son's future. ;)

I think Bob was just thinking about saving your nice screens. Metal likes to get wedged in the holes and stay stuck, some of it permanently. You can use a brush to get a lot out but not all IME.

• 4 weeks later...

Really love this purchase - especially at that price point - well worth it!

As far as the screens go, like they said - this was the lazy mans way to get clean already framed screens - but this is also an easy DIY project if need be.

A couple of places offer what they call "mesh assortments" ( http://www.bwire.com ) this means that for 1 decent price - you can get a large variety of small pieces of screen.

THis works out nicely for me, because I don't use mesh screens a whole lot, and I dont want to buy more than I need. As far as cutting these screens, I found out the hard way through scratches, cuts, and blood that the best way to go is leather gloves and Wiss Aviation Snips - yellow handle!