APC Forum

APCP and chlorate mixtures

taiwanluthiers

I know ammonium perchlorate is incompatible with chlorates, however I wonder are commercial APCP reloads also dangerous in that regards? What I mean is, if a hobbyist is a pyro and flies rockets (HPR, not fireworks) at the same time, does he need to remove chlorate from his shop? Also should APCP reloads be kept away from any common chlorate mixes (such as safety match heads)?

This is where knowing the incompatibilities of chems come into play. I would personally not let these come into contact in storage . Compartmentalizing your storage is a must with pyro ( and rocket reloads etc) . I would treat these ( reloads ) like storing bp, in its own readybox or cabinet . One could work with chlorates but good housekeeping and cleanup are a must if these motors are being loaded in the same shop. ( Just my two cents)

I make it a practice to store fuels and oxidizers separate as well as incompatibles between them (chlorate and ammonia salts, or anything with a nature to double decompose into a dangerous salt).

Now if your speaking in terms of "legal storage " I guess it would come down to your local laws and a general safety of your magazine.

The other thing is, do motor igniters contain chlorate, or are there ones that uses chlorate based pyrogens? I am pretty sure no commercial igniters or dip kits uses chlorate unless it's one of those e match dip kit (like the one skylighter sells) but it's something else to think about...

Not sure , but I think it is safe to say they dont use kclo3 for ematch. As Im sure you know this , but one wouldnt store a motor ematched , so the dangers arnt there. As a rule of thumb, you would store your ignition materials away from the finished devices, (only having that exposure for a short time before shooting it). Your AP motors arnt going to react from that contact. Most motors are cast and the grains are sealed with a phlegmatizer ( or rubber "pban") . There would need to be moisture to create a "double exchange reaction " anyways .