APC Forum

Hight density tungsten carbide media balls

kleberrios

Hi guys. I think I discovered a fantastic media. I.bought five tungsten carbide balls 15g/cm³ , 50mm diameter. The balls are very hard and very heavy. Each ball have 1 kg. The balls don't produce sparks when shock on magnalium powder 150 mesh,. This media is very expensive but his work is fantastic. Somebody already used this media in ball mills? 10mm dia eu think ok to ball mills....

The test that I did was this. . I picked up a pvc tube with 1 meter long and 50 mm diameter. I put one tungsten ball inside the tube, with some magnalium 150 mesh on the ball This ball was on the floor inside the tube, with the magnalium pile on the ball, at the tube center.

at the top of the pipe I dropped another ball that just shocked about magnalium stack. The shock was so strong that laminated magnalium forming a very fine scale, but no ignition. I repeated the test several times and no fire occurred. Repeat the test using steel balls, and the shoque caused ignition on the first try. I used 1 kg ball because if the ball did not cause sparks, never occur with a ball of smaller diameter ...Somebody already used this media in ball mills? 10mm dia I think ok to ball mills....

Edited by kleberrios

The tungsten carbide is used often, for milling hard things like Ti in ball mill. It doesn not spark but it may have a tendency to erode itself, contaminating the batch, but this depends on the hardness.

Please check your PM.