APC Forum

Making Chlorate with Seawater

patsroom

Could seawater be made into chlorate and/or pre-chlorate. If the seawater was concentrated by 1000%(1gallon of concentrated sea water from 10 gallons of sea water). Then place into a chlorate cell could someone produce chlorate from it.

Seawater composition (by mass ( salinity = 3.5%)

Element Percent Element Percent

Oxygen 85.84 Sulfur 0.091

Hydrogen 10.82 Calcium 0.04

Chloride 1.94 Potassium 0.04

Sodium 1.08 Bromine 0.0067

Magnesium 0.1292 Carbon 0.0028

See this is a Random Discussion. :P ....................Pat

By letting the water evaporate, (Boil it through means of wood fires, perhaps when making some charcoal?) and then rehydrate the powder, you should be able to get rid of some of the contaminating stuffs, since a lot of the stuff wont actually be soluble by water alone. But i'm pretty sure it's not going to be "pure" NaCl / KCl. I know this is somewhat of a problem when salt-mixes used for aquarium use gets wet. It causes the calcium to bond with "other stuff" and then it simply refuses to go back in to solution without the use of an acid. Something that makes it pretty much useless for aquarium purposes.

Most notably i think it's Ca & Mg that acts as the "foundation" for the reaction.

Anyway, letting it completely evaporate all the water, and using the dry powder to make a new solution, should let you wait for the solids to collect at the bottom, and then pour of some usable fluids as long as you don't disturb the solids. This solution MIGHT be useful as feed stock. Someone else thats more knowledgeable will have to pitch in at this point.

I have no idea what contamination might remain at this point, nor how they would interact with the process.

B!

If you afforded the energy to concentrate the seawater to about 400g/l yes no problem. But that would mean boiling off about 800ml out of every litre

Look sodium and pottasium are only 1.1 % of mass even if we assume that they are present fully as chlorides (they aren't). You still will just get a solution of roundabout 10 % of the desired chlorides.

Now this is the minium of chloride you need to be gentle on your anodes.

Also do not forget if you concentrate the water you also get more organic mass in your water (and those contain much more stuff then what is dissolved in the water.

Ounting just these couple factors the answer is: No!

In response to the 10% level that would be an easy fix, not sure how the organic mass would hurt the production of the chlorate or even if it would effect the production.

So I will say let's edit the amount of water from 10 gallons to 100 gallons or even reduce the 1 gallon of water to just 10% of it volume. Next filter the water if you can. But I still do not see why it's a no. :o If the salinity is 3.5% in plain seawater what other salts are there too.

Now as this is posted in Random Discussion it is something more in line with trying to find out if it is possible to make chlorate with seawater. Not so that I have plans to go to the beach any time soon. :P ...............Pat

PS - I know, no one but me has talked about going to the beach.

Edited by patsroom

If you afforded the energy to concentrate the seawater to about 400g/l yes no problem. But that would mean boiling off about 800ml out of every litre

The sun, or simple wood fires would provide that heat, quite easily, as long as your not in a hurry. Once you got a running system i think you could use the heat from the system as well.

Also do not forget if you concentrate the water you also get more organic mass in your water (and those contain much more stuff then what is dissolved in the water.

Ounting just these couple factors the answer is: No!

As i said above, i actually don't think the organic stuff is an issue. Your going to have to evaporate all the water, rehydrate it, and in the process get rid of a lot (all?) of the Ca, Mg, and S so on, so forth. The organics will be a dead burnt mass at the bottom, which should be easy to filter / decant of. I'm quite sure there will be more issues, but these factors shouldn't be the main limiting ones. I think...

B!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm pretty close. Nothing to do with pyro but I've thought about making sea salt. Then I see how cheap it is in the store and flash back to reality.

Guys making sea salt has giant pools where they evaporate the water with the sun. Salt is not exactly rare or hard to get (the sea is full of it) so they tend to be cheap to buy. Also sea salt contains a lot of impurities that makes it good for food but not so much for chemistry use... You really don't know what else is in it. What if there are some trace fluorides?

Yeah it was something I wanted to try for food. Just a silly thought while washing all the salt off the boat. I don't think it would be hard to get enough to try but really not worth the hassle and I doubt it would have any special flavor. Where I go is the last bit of mostly undeveloped coast line in Florida. I would hope it's clean but who knows what the tides and currents bring in.

While I have thought about it I was more just joking around.

Edit: I would have hard teeth? City water probably has much more florides than sea water.

Edited by FlaMtnBkr