APC Forum

PGI '07 Fargo

Mumbles

Speaking of Fargo, if anyone has a backyard I can camp in, or even better couchto offer, I would be very happy. :)

Some people are trying to get me to compete in the competitions this year. I'm not 100% sure if I'll be able to get there this year or not. Also, honestly the first time I compete I am going for that best first time class B competitor. I have unlimited chances to win everything else, but the first time class B competitor is a 1 time shot. I need to get my techniques and stuff down first. Also transport is a problem.

TheSidewinder:

Mumbles,

You're welcome to pitch your tent on my site if you want. I'll have my folding trailer as usual, but it's not so big that there'll be no more room. And if you have no tent, you can borrow my old (but good) one.

I had forgotten about that 1st-timer category. Looks like I better read up on that one, too. I think I'll do Beginner Level I this year in addition to whatever else I can manage to build.

This is kind of getting off topic for the Aerial Shell thread, maybe we should start a PGI thread.

I've wanted to go to a PGI shoot but they're always too far away for me to drive and I KNOW I'll want to stock up on stuff since I understand that vendors are there, and then I won't be able to get back on a plane with the stuff :(

But seeing as how you guys are talking about all the classes and I see where they have a display shooters certification course, I might just resign myself to flying to Fargo for the next one and just go to all the courses I can and build stuff from those to shoot.

Now I just need to get that PGI application in the mail. Any PGI members want to let me use them as a reference for the app?

I'll be going to the PGI convention this year and id love to meet up with you guys and take some classes. The display operator course comes to mind. :)

And yeah just like you Mumbles, if anyone has a place i can stay i'd be eternally grateful.

I don't know if ill be going by myself or not yet. I really hate flying, but driving so far would be bad too, esspecially if its just me. Twould suck to get a flat tire in some state you don't know shit about. I'm unclear as to if you can take a friend or family member. I think you can take them, but they can't actually go into the members area or anything. So they are essentially there just for the public show?

And yeah we should start a PGI thread for discussion of the one coming up and meeting up there and everything.

So, here it is.

I would like to see where all the people driving to the PGI are driving from. Maybe there could be some carpooling to help make things easier for some. I will be driving in from the Chicago area, but I'm only going for the last three days. I'll be leaving Wednesday night.

I'll be coming from Austin, TX. I'll probably be driving, but thats no gaurantee.

Edited so that im not being repetitive.

Coming from Houston, but i'll probably fly in then rent a car. It'd take me 3 days to drive that far :huh:

For anyone planning on competing I have the 2007 Judges challenge. It hasn't been publicly announced, but it was on the judge's trailer this year. It is to create a unique shape by means of fireworks. I assume shells will be judged higher than say lancework. Smiley faces and such are a bit lacking. I was thinking about trying to make a cube shell(makes a cube shape in the sky), or some of the japanese ones I've seen.

I may or may not be there. It all really depends on work this summer, and where I am working at and if I can get the time off, etc. I'll probably know closer to june. The ride thing depends on where I am working, might be Montana, or might be here in WI.

I'm fine with meeting up with anyone. I met a few people from the forums in 2006. A few of them knew who I was, a few didn't.

I'll be driving down from Grand Forks (~1hr North of Fargo). AFAIK, there aren't any other PGI members here in town, so I'm pretty useless for a carpool. ;)

ewest or anyone else,

If you do decide to go, fly into Minneapolis, NOT Fargo. Rent a vahicle there and drive to Fargo and back. You will almost certainly *STILL* save money doing it that way. Mpls is a major hub, Fargo is a bump on the prairie. And ticket prices to Fargo reflect that: they're usually MUCH higher than the same flight to Mpls. ;)

M

Did some post pruning to get all the stuff from the Aerial Shell thread relating to the PGI in here.

I'll be driving down from Grand Forks (~1hr North of Fargo). AFAIK, there aren't any other PGI members here in town, so I'm pretty useless for a carpool. ;)

What? You live in Grand Forks? I'll PM you my location, but I also live in North Dakota... the other side however.

So, there is a good chance that I will also be attending PGI this year.

Charlie, another Austin, TX pyro and I will probably be carpooling together, we are going to have to go over gas, food, and lodging stuff, etc, but yeah we have several months to do that.

So hurray for not having to drive by myself.

Wow, I didn't expect to find anyone else in Grand Forks! I probably won't be going to PGI though. We'll see.

OK, starting to look like enough pyros from APC going to PGI '07 to throw a decent party ! I should have confirmation this coming week on my plans to attend, trying to drag Painter with me, still working on Al93535 ( come on, you wuss! )

We should definitely try to have at least one get-together of the group from the forum.

Should be a nice little get together. Maybe we can meet up in the afterglow tent monday or tuesday or something. I just sent my PGI registration in. I will have to see if I'll be able to make it out there or not before I send in my convention registration, and get lodging things figured out.

I'll do my best to corrupt Al into coming. I'll entice him with all the pyro groupies and getting to talk Steve LaDuke's ear off about rockets. I sat near him in the grandstands one night. He still seems really excited when his rockets are about to go off during the competition, even though if he competes he's a 90% favorite to win.

I won't be out til Wed. night, but I'll be there from there on. Afterglow is a good spot to meet, that tent is HUGE.

Ok, you guys are getting me all excited and it's only March :lol: An APC party sounds like a really good idea to me.

I sent my PGI registration in last week and now I'm trying to talk my brother into flying out there with me, should have something firmed up sometime in the near future.

One question though, if he isn't a member will he still be able to take seminars with me or are those restricted to PGI members?

The entire convention campus (including seminars, chem tent, rocket barn, shooting areas, etc.) is restricted to PGI members only. He'll be able to watch the shows at night from the grandstands, but he'll have to buy tickets for each night like the rest of the general public.

It's not too late to have him apply for PGI membership and register for the convention though :)

All in all, if he's going to attend every show, it might be cheaper to become a member. Say he's your life partner or something, and you'll get in cheaper. Gets to see all the seminars and everything too.

He already mooches off of me enough as it is without giving him that sort of status LOL. I'll get him signed up, thanks for the info, I had no idea what to expect out there.

• 1 month later...

My mom called the fairgrounds earlier today and got some info, so im posting what i can remember of it here. It might answer a few questions.

The spots shown on the camping layout:

http://www.redrivervalleyfair.com/firework...ng%20Layout.htm

Are only the RV spots.

The tent camping spots are not shown and the person on the phone essentially said that there was no possibility of tent camping space running out. So lots and lots of space. Tent spaces are in the grass. As for utilities, a truck comes around every day so you can fill up canteens, buckets, jugs, or what not with water to drink/wash/etc. Not sure about electricity for the tent camping, probably not. (Would have been nice though as then i could just cook with a hotplate or crockpot and charge my cell phone... small electric fan for air circulation, etc) There will be porta-potties. They are trying to get porta-showers too, but another event has them before the PGI convention so there are no gaurantees that they will be able to get them. There are a few showers there already, but not many.

Temperature may be between 80-100F at day, up to around 80F at night sometimes. I think it will be cooler though... the person was probably exagerating a bit. There will possibly be mosquitos. They should be spraying for them though, so no real idea how bad its going to be.

Boyscout motto applys, "Always be prepared." :)

Still don't know about how they treat bringing your own stuff...

Hope this helps someone.

• 3 months later...

Well, my plans have changed for the 4th time in not so many months, and I will be at PGI!! At least for part of it...

:)

PM me so we can do some meeting up and such, if you could please!

I will drive down to Fargo probably just for Fri the 10th.. I didn't get my PGI membership in this year, so I'm just going to see some folks and the friday night fireworks..

Also... "there may be mosquitos"... expect lots, there will probably be more.. If they fog every other day, there might only be 15 mosquitos per person there.. if they fog once at the beginning... ominous!

We've had a pretty mild summer so far, about 70-88F daytime and usually like 65F at night.. sometimes dipping down to 50F... I expect mid 90-s during the day, plus heat index, and generally 60-70F at night, possibly dipping down as low as 50F although the record low is about 29F

I look forward to meeting up with all of you guys!

As an update:

I'm carpooling with the head people who run the Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas (PAT) club. Thanks also go to ewest for telling me about their mailing list... Otherwise i wouldn't have gotten the opportunity. I should be staying there the whole time. Hopefully we'll get into town the first day... but im not certain... We could use FRS/GMRS radios (walkie talkies) to communicate while we are there... some of the time at least... obviously you wouldn't have it on you if your working with live materials.

Apparently you can transport your own materials to the convention (under the club license) as long as you stay within the guidelines of the law. If uncertain your supposed to contact the ATF/DoT and ask. Remember, they are on the hobbyist side.

So im considering making something like a 4" or 6" shell for the convention now... but im not sure if the people im carpooling with would be okay with that... so no idea yet.

Also... I'm not sure if im going to take my cell phone with me or not... but it would be nice to have... however im camping in a tent... no electricity to charge it... so if i do bring my cell phone... anyone wanna lend me an outlet? The people im carpooling with might have an outlet where they are staying... so... i don't know.

Lotsa IDKs.

It seems I will be there the for the whole convention and then some.

I am probably not going to be taking any chems down, may come back with some more though.

On the subject of chems, I have some sodium metal that I am trying to get rid of and if someone were to meet me at PGI, there wouldn't be any hazmat shipping. Handy, that. Trades for other chems is also an option. Anyhow, if you are interested in some sodium, PM me.

I will be staying with friends, so I can charge phones for electrically-challanged.