APC Forum

Magnesium Chips?

MWJ

A friend of mine got 1 lb bag of Mag. for free with an order from Skylighter and gave it to me. What can I use it for in either ball shells/Stars other fireworks?

Thanks,

Mike J

Hunter won a contest that Skylighter had on uses for the Mg chips and turnings. Check out the APC thread here.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/7296-magnesium-chips-contest-entry/?hl=%2Bmagnesium+%2Bchips

There was an article on Skylighter about making mines with the chips by layering chips with an oxidizer. Can't locate it at the moment but maybe someone has saved it.

Edited by Bobosan
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. He did a nice job! Didn't he? I'll try it.

I've made Mag flash colored aerial salutes with lots of the chips left in . It gives a bright long lasting burst of white sparks with the color flash. May not be a beginners type shell, but a interesting effect no less. The turnings are good for the go-getters like hunter made.

Also as stated above one could make mines to shoot the chips .

• Like 1

-20 mesh mg works perfect for flares or you can also it in salutes for titanium replacement. An other option is, if has cutting oil from clinging onto it (if not just tumble them with some), to mix it with some kclo3. Only as much as clings to it is needed. Fill the shell with that and paste very lightly. No break charge is needed. Than it gives a very nice falling leaves effect. If you wan't them to spread out a little farther use a flash bag with 2 g bp. Do not compress the mg to much.
  • Like 1