APC Forum

Willow for BP, and wood alcohol

vizzer

I have several willow trees on my property, a few recently dead due to the drought, some losing branches, and some quite healthy still. Plus the remains of one cut down 9 months ago by a utility, and one cut down 7 years ago by a road crew.

My question: which should be used for coal for BP? It seems reasonable just to test the varieties though.

Also, I've heard that wood alcohol is the liquified gas that escapes the cooker while making charcoal; is this correct? Would it be useful to capture and maybe distill the wood alcohol, and then use it in the BP making process?

Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

John

Wood alcohol is produced by hydrolysis, not pyrolysis, which is what we're doing. What you get is a mixture of steam and lots of different hydrocarbons, from turpentine to tar. If you don't have much use for these and equipment for fractional condensation, it's better just to burn off the vapors. When they don't burn anymore, you're done.

I can't answer which trees make the best BP, maybe someone else can. Or as you said, try and see what happens. Use the exact same process each time and compare the performance of the BP form each.

No, I have no distillation equipment of any kind - much less for fractional condensation.

What a field of information to know.

Many thanks.

Willow makes pretty potent charcoal for black powder lift and break charges. There are many variables in producing good black powder and the charcoal type is a major factor. The most popular woods for shell lift and break black powder are Balsa, Paulownia, Alder, Eastern Red Cedar and Willow. Pine produces long hanging sparks when used in charcoal star compositions.

A couple of links to check out;

http://www.creagan.net/fireworks/charcoal.html

http://www.creagan.net/fireworks/charcoal_tests.html

• Like 1

Willow is by the best charcoal for FAST/HOT. Burning BP which is fine for small shells like 1.75 2 3 4 maybe 5... I've made charcoal two ways. The best easier and most effecient way is the T.L.U.D method or the chimney style. If you look at my gallery you'll see 2 5 gallon canc that used to hold paint thinner. 1 can hold the wood you want to cook with holes on the bottom you can't see and then there's the 2nd can has a few holes on the sides towards the bottom and the bottom is completely cut out. Thus providing the chimney effect. There's s whole thread on the T.L.U,D Method.

P.S my mentor makes charcoal mainly with 2x4 white pine he gets for free. He says you gotta work it!!!

Willow is ONE of the fastest but not the fastest and fast is not always good. Eastern Red Cedar seems to make faster charcoal than the black and peachleaf we have locally. With over 400 species of Salix (willow) worldwide, a blanket statement for will is kind of misleading. Which species are you referring to?

English tradition states that debarked new growth willow from the thickness of a man's thumb to the thickness of his forearm will make good charcoal, it still does! HOWEVER willow may not be available in your locality, so other woods may be needed. "Trees that grow quickly near water" was another guide quoted. The trees at Royal Gunpowder Mills (Waltham Abbey (Britain's primary BP factory all the time BP had military uses) are Willow and Alder, both make good powder.