APC Forum

best place to buy sticks?

captainG

Too deep and not enough surface for even heating.

Yep, too deep. I've got an old one similar to this (really - it almost looks exactly like it :D)

http://www.fowlvisions.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/electric-skillet-incubator.jpg

The main issue I've had is the heating element causes a round 'hot spot' in the middle. Also the corners aren't ideal.

I'd much prefer a round one with an even heating base - but they can be expensive and I'd rather spend on chems.

Does the job fine for me though, and cost around $5 from a second hand shop.

Edited by stix

Oster and Presto both make aluminum skillets (I like my 16" one) that really don't get hot spots, stainless steel skillets always do since they are stamped steel and don't have the heat sink of a cast aluminum pan. We have Good-Will and Salvation Army stores here and you can get a used one for $10.00.

MythBusters was using a stainless steel skillet in their show to make R-candy and it started on fire. You can clearly see the hot spot where it starts, make sure you always do this outdoors!

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
That is awsome info on the stick situation! I was blown away by that video! Did those rockets have fins/ aerofoils? Or just a rocket motor? It was very impressive! Very keen to know more! Still trying to get my head around all this! Also can anyone tell me is a 1lb rocket, 1 pound in weight? That seems heavy, i have just ordered some tooling for 1lb coreburner rockets not sure how long it will take to get here with this virus getting around! Hopefully i get the tooling and not the virus! Lol

That is awsome info on the stick situation! I was blown away by that video! Did those rockets have fins/ aerofoils? Or just a rocket motor? It was very impressive! Very keen to know more! Still trying to get my head around all this! Also can anyone tell me is a 1lb rocket, 1 pound in weight? That seems heavy, i have just ordered some tooling for 1lb coreburner rockets not sure how long it will take to get here with this virus getting around! Hopefully i get the tooling and not the virus! Lol

https://www.skylighter.com/blogs/how-to-make-fireworks/intro-to-rockets

Rocket Motor Sizes and Designations Motor ID Designation Tube Length 3/8-inch ID 2 ounce 3.5 inches 1/2-inch ID 4 ounce 5 inches 5/8-inch ID 8 ounce 6.25 inches 3/4-inch ID 1 pound 7.5 inches 7/8-inch ID 2 pound 9 inches or longer 1-inch ID 3 pound 10 inches 1.25-inch ID 4 pound 12.5 inches 1.5-inch ID 6 pound 15 inches

Some other good info there.

Cheers.

As with many things in pyro, it seems the reason things are named that way they are is... 'no one knows.'

I think 1lb rockets contain the equivalent charge of BP used to launch a 1lb cannon ball. That might be a myth, but it is what I have heard.

Regards, AP

• Like 1