APC Forum

sticking to coffee grinder?

captainG

Ok so I tried my first turbo pyro project the sparkler and tried to grind the sulfer and it is sticking horribly to the grinder and when I tried to tap it out it upside down it pretty much shot everyway but down. highly static I'm guessing is this normal?if so what is the best way to empty the grinder? on the brightside I Learned a very valuable early lesson in support of safety glasses though!

I would try wiping the coffee grinder out with some fabric softener sheets. That should minimize a lot of it. They do make an anti-static spray too.

Skylighter rubber makers sulfur usually doesn't need milling. Who is the chem source for the sparkler project?

You probably will experience the static problem with many other chems too, especially during winter.

It was pretty fine before i ground it about powder sugar consistency not sure where it came from been in a box sealef up for about 6 yrs just says sulfer 99.8 pct pure i was just following turbo pyro instructions will try grinding the kno3 tomorrow. .....outside! I will try the dryer sheet idea too I have a ball mill coming but I figured I'd try their project

Not sure what kind of coffee grinder you have, but the single serve blenders work well and cost less than $20 from Wal-Mart.
  • Like 1

When I tied grinding sulfur it stuck on the blades like crazy. After I grinded some bentonite most of it was gone.

Try grinding something else in the grinder as long as you dont mind if theres small amounts of sulfur contamination.

If your making BP or something you can weigh out all the chemicals and put about 5% of the charcoal or nitrate to help stop it sticking and clumping. A small amount of oxidizer won't be flammable. You can do the same thing with the nitrate if it's wanting to clump. This is assuming you are using the blender on multiple chemicals but of course don't blend the complete mix together as it will be flammable and a hazard.

I know a little off subject.

Even garden sulfur is fine enough that it has worked for me without grinding. If following the Turbo-Pyro book, most of the items just needs to be screen though a 40 mesh. Now that should be the smallest holed kitchen colander screens you can buy at Wally-World Theses colanders (this may be mis-spelled) come with a handle on one side and at the top, two little rabbit ears to hang by. The screen is bowl shaped. You can look it up in the Turbo-Pyro book for things you need to buy.

I have read the book and it also state the the finer the mixture is the faster it will burn. Just saying that it does need to be well inter-mixed but not so fine as to be balled mill finely mixed...........Pat

If your making BP or something you can weigh out all the chemicals and put about 5% of the charcoal or nitrate to help stop it sticking and clumping. A small amount of oxidizer won't be flammable. You can do the same thing with the nitrate if it's wanting to clump. This is assuming you are using the blender on multiple chemicals but of course don't blend the complete mix together as it will be flammable and a hazard.

This is what I do. If it's a charcoal comp I mix the sulfur with all of the charcoal. Charcoal coats everything and keeps it form sticking together.