APC Forum

could hydraulic pressed / pumped stars ignite if over compressed, what will happen

matchstick

i want to make a simple 1 star pump for messing around with, before i eventually get around to doing proper shells. actually atm im pretty content making setups that just propell a single burning star.

Anyway, i dont know how any of it works yet, but i was wondering, can the stars explode under the pressure, and if so, what happens? but i mean normally with a proper pump?

would they just burn and vent out the gaps? or blow it up? break the press?

im a little concerned about accidentally applying too much pressure, my press is way overkill for any kind of stars, its meant for pushing bushings or bearings apart/in each other, in short, an all rounder mechanic workshop press.

so what would/could/might happen?

I guess that with all the right conditions, extreme pressures could ignite a star but I have put 50,000 pounds on 1/2" cylinder before with no noticeable heat on the comet when it was removed from the pump. In my case, it was a high charcoal comp that just would not stay compressed and would fall apart after being pressed. I found that these were really good candidates for hand pressing (20-50 pounds of force) and resin binding.

I'm not aware of any issues with over pressing using a strong press, but ramming using a mallet is for smooth compositions only certainly no metal powders.
  • Like 1

I'm not aware of any issues with over pressing using a strong press, but ramming using a mallet is for smooth compositions only certainly no metal powders.

I agree to that. Well, I do not have any bad experience with ramming metal-powders - on the contrary, out of lack of equipment, I have been hand-ramming BP and Alu (flitter and "blue"), to make fountains. (After watching Ned Gorski do the same)

Obviously, I protected myself as much as possible, but never had any experiences.

I must add, that I never mixed those 2 types of Alu. And only used BP and 1 metal, at a time.

I don't know if this would make any difference, or if I had just been lucky.

For the record, I would not endorce ANYONE to do this. I am very aware of the fact that I'm an idiot while doing so.

I have made tests with just BP and Alu, where I made it ignite in a controlled manner; to see what would happen if it went off.

And it EXPLODES!!! Be warned.

Edited by Ubehage

I'm aware of one explosion incident during pressing. That was the pressing of a whistle rocket, where fragments from a previous, unsuccessful pressing (split casing, iirc) were included in the composition.

I'm aware of one explosion incident during pressing. That was the pressing of a whistle rocket, where fragments from a previous, unsuccessful pressing (split casing, iirc) were included in the composition.

Yikes, I did that once with mixed sali and benny whistle from split motors... just broke up the chunks and pressed it all mixed together into a 3" diameter tube. :D

Glad that didn't blow up until I tried to light it... still got the dents in my truck to remind me. :P