APC Forum

NYE 5"

nt8

Very good multibreak man! http://yoursmileys.ru/tsmile/rulez/t2030.gif

Love the shells, especially the stutata. Nicely done. Could I ask, what is the star composition for the first inserts?

Thank you guys!

The first inserts stars was Tiger Willow w/ 10% sponge Ti.

Maybe the stutata shell flew too high ( like all in this NYE :( )

• 11 months later...

Thank you guys!

The first inserts stars was Tiger Willow w/ 10% sponge Ti.

Maybe the stutata shell flew too high ( like all in this NYE :( )

I can't find the Tiger Willow composition anywhere on the internet, could you please tell me the comp? and the mesh/mm of the titanium used?

Btw really nice stutata, loved the clear and bright color.

Edited by Stef727

Looks like this might be it: http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/tiger-willow-ball-shells.asp

The comp is listed toward the bottom of the page. By percentage, it's approximately:

52.7 BP mill dust

31.6 Charcoal (airfloat)

7 Dextrin

3.7 Sulfur

5 Lampblack

Total: 100

• Like 1

This should be Tiger Willow

39.5 P. N.

31.6 Air float

9 Sulfur

7 Dextrin

SHIMIZU

Edited by dynomike1

Dynomike! Why'd you recommend Phosphorus Nitride?

I'd have recommended KNO3... hmmmm.... same number of characters to type... maybe I mistook your ingredient! <G>

Lloyd

• Like 2

While at it... Phosphorus Nitride have been used as chemical fire extinguishers. I'm not convinced the composition would burn that well.

B!

P N can also stand for Potassium Nitrate.

Um.. Now, if we were to pull weird nondescript abbreviations out of our rear end, it could mean anything. Police Ninja. Pasta Noodle. Pingu Nights. Piss noggin. But we deal with chemicals, the lesson we try to teach here is that abbreviations for chemicals shouldn't be some made up improvised stuff, but follow the scientific standard. That way everyone KNOWS what were talking about, and there are no mistakes, getting people hurt. Mike knows this, yet P.N., and "Air float" is used as if it means something.

I should get to bed before i offend people. It's almost 6 in the morning, so if i come of as rude, it's not intentional.

B!

Um.. Now, if we were to pull weird nondescript abbreviations out of our rear end, it could mean anything. Police Ninja. Pasta Noodle. Pingu Nights. Piss noggin. But we deal with chemicals, the lesson we try to teach here is that abbreviations for chemicals shouldn't be some made up improvised stuff, but follow the scientific standard. That way everyone KNOWS what were talking about, and there are no mistakes, getting people hurt. Mike knows this, yet P.N., and "Air float" is used as if it means something.

I should get to bed before i offend people. It's almost 6 in the morning, so if i come of as rude, it's not intentional.

B!

it seems you had a bad day when i read your posts from 6 in the morning :)

My bad Potassium Nitrate is the only PN i have. When i write my comp up to mix, i use the abbreviation. Wrong habit i guess. Point taken. I guess i also should of said this is Shimizu's comp.

Edited by dynomike1

"P N can also stand for Potassium Nitrate."

---

No, it cannot Max. There is no country in this world where just any random abbreviation someone wishes to give a chemical - mostly out of laziness to not write it - is acceptable. In most countries except for those that are native English speakers, the active metal is "kalium", not "potassium".

It takes all of one second to type potassium nitrate, and even less to type KNO3. Get in the habit of stating chemical names or formulae unambiguously. Since even the 'correct' name can be different from locale to locale, it makes more sense to write the chemical formula.

Going back to my original joking about phosphorus nitride... even that is not 'correct'. The ordinary species is triphosphorus pentanitride - P3N5. So in that case, in order to convey what might be useful about the material, it's even more important to write the formula, rather than the 'common name'. You see... if we did not differentiate them somehow, we'd call all oxides of hydrogen just HO. You can have H2O2 to drink... I'll stick with H2O!

Enough mistakes occur in the explosive arts, without adding to them through pure carelessness or laziness.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

This should be Tiger Willow

39.5 P. N.

31.6 Air float

9 Sulfur

7 Dextrin

SHIMIZU

Thanks! I actually don't have lampblack so its nice to have this comp :P