APC Forum

Film can cannon

thathad2hurtbad

I found an intresting thing online, It is a small film can cannon.

You simply take the ignitor out of an old grill, punhc it through the top of the film can, spray some alchohol or Axe bodyspray into it (A very small amount) And quickly attach the can to the cap. Then proceed to use the grill ignitor to light the alcohol or Axe inside of it and watch the resulting expansion pop off the can and shoot it across the room if done correctly.

Just a fun little experiment that is basically a beginners combustion cannon.

Do you have dimensions? Where you found it?

I am interested in making a little combustion cannon the won't disturb the neighbourhood.

I currently have a kickass marble cannon (BP) but its too loud for town. :ph34r: <_<

There was a thread on the old forum about somethign like this, however a pen tube was glued in as well as a barrel.. I made one. I fired q-tips with it.

Yes, thats more what I was thinking of. Something I can shoot a little target at in my room when im bored ^_^

Even firing something as small BBs or nerds(lollies) would be good.

How would a Hydrogen/oxygen mix in the chamber work?(Very small measured amount :D )

I have a small combustion cannon made using one of those long barbeque lighters and a pill bottle and a pen tube for barrell. The lighter was disected and modified so that you push the button a couple times and it fills the chamber and then you hit it again and it sparks it and shoots w/e out. It is not very powerfull at all....but still fun and something you can shoot around inside without problems. I'll update with a picture once i find my camera.

Ahhhh i didnt think of the pen tube thing. I unfourtounatly didnt bookmark the website and am about to leave to go to a superbowl party so once i get home ill search for more detailed instructions.

To be my contrarian self, do you have the dimensions for the pen tube cannon? I would like to test that out.

Thanks in advance.

**EDIT**

The only thing I can see wrong with the hydrogen/oxygen mix is a slight measuring error resulting in too powerful a blast destroying the ring and blasting you with plastic shrapnel. Neither of which are a very nice situation to be in. "JOHHNY!!! What was that boom!!!"

"Nothing mom! Just accidentally blowing up a film can! Say, can you take me to the hospital?" :rolleyes:

I tried the film canister cannon USING PLASTIC TUBING AS A BARREL and a piezo ignitor in the lid. Using hairspray there was no ignition, no matter what I did. And the same thing when I put a drop of petrol in. ;)

I might get a pic when I get batteries for my camera.

EDIT: some of you thought I made a film canister poper, its more like a combustion cannon for those ear swabs.

With the film canister one you are not supposed to have a tube it just shots the canister. film cannon

I like the pill bottle one more, because it is more like a combustion cannon. Here is a picture of mine. image

I too saw the film can cannon and doubted that it would work. Even if it did, you could flick the cap further with your pinky!

On the other hand, a combustion cannon using a pen as a barrel is loads of fun. I use a half liter coke can for the chamber myself. The barrel is glued to the cap so it can be screwed on and off for reloading easily. I would used my propane tourch to fill it up fast, then cap it. I had a small hole, 1/8" diameter, in the side which I held my lighter to. It would pop, push my hand back, and shoot darts across the room, yipee!

The canister deisgn was used on attack of the show and shot the canister a good 50 feet. The only reason I can think of is the guy said he used either oxyactelyene or some weird dental gas (Not nitrogen) As the ignition source.

Petrol wouldnt work cause it burns to slowly I would imagine. You need something that will expand rapidly and with enough force to pop off the canister. PyroPicasso actually found and posted the link I found it on.

Smart work.

Dental gasses are all inert, save perhaps N2O which could be oxidised. O2/H2C2 is not a dental gas.

Petrol could be used, as it is volatile. If you shake it up, then it evaporates forming a fuel/air mix that will be suseptible to ignition.

Here is my cannon

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f133/dra...86/HPIM1194.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f133/dra...86/HPIM1192.jpg

It is a small medicine bottle with a bic pen tube. There is a torch lighter bit on the cap there to get a perfect (well not really perfect :P) fuel/air mixture. You know you love my angled handle. I will eventually write up the tutorial for the best bullets fore these suckers.

Merged your other thread into this one. They are basically the same thing, and we don't need 2 threads for them. -Mumbles

Edited by Mumbles

I mentioned this on the old forum a while ago but I don’t know if anyone read it. If you put a small ball of steel wool down the barrel with a spit wad on top of it makes for a good tracer. You can also glue it to the back of one of your bullets. I was thinking of maybe doing it with a lady finger, but it seems kind of dangerous. :P

I made one of these once, but I used a pretty big pill bottle. I could never get the right amount of spray and the cap would always backfire and it made a pretty loud pop. I did get it to shoot silently a few times.

I made one so the gas thingy was on the back of the bottle for the handle and the ignitor thing was the trigger. Wasn't really shaped like a gun, but sort of. It shot a pencil over 25m. Just hold the gas lever on for three seconds, shake it up, then pull the trigger. Loaded with a pencil it was almost silent, but unloaded it was pretty loud.

And a tip for anyone making one: Don't forget to take the lid off and shake it around to get some fresh air in it after each shot.

I used to sell a hand held film cannon like this on my website, it was a little pricey though (~ $25). It shot film cans and used Banaca as the propellant.

Lmao those are pretty cool! I'm going to try a few different methods later this week and see what I can come up with, then I'll let you guys know.

I made one a little wile ago. I accidently put too much fule in and shattered the top of the medicin bottle I used and hit me in the face. No cuts, just annoyance.

The fact that it exploded doesn't mean that you put in too much fuel. If you put in too much fuel cahances are that you would get a slow combustion or the mixture would not ignite at all. The problem is that your combustion chamber was too large for your barrel. The barrel could not get the gasses out quick enough so the gasses had to find alternative exit(s).

P.S.: By the way go to a local dollar store and pick up a cheap torch lighter and hook up the bit as your fuel injector. They give great fuel air mixtures so you dont have to fool around with shaking the cannon, and it avoids those incomplete combustions.

That's a great idea and everything, but the air has to come from somewhere. That somewhere is also a place that the combustion pressure can leak out too, though. A hot pressurised jet of flame isn't good. I had a hole in one of the cannons I made that I had a nail in for a contact, but changed it around so the hole was empty. Upon ignition it burnt a hole through my shirt and blistered my skin. Not a nice feeling. It would be good if we could find a way to get air in there, though. :)

Hot Glue should remedy that problem. I have a prototype cannon that I test all of my theories on and it has had plenty of holes drilled in it. When a new idea comes along and i have to dispense of whatever was filling the hole I just fill the void with a nice gob of hot glue. And Po if you mean find someway of intoducing air wihtout having to open the chamber, read my last post those torch lighter bits are great for introducing air and fuel in a good mixture.

Heres a small cannon i made in metalwork last year.

The hole width is about 1\4", and and about 3" long. The whole cannon is 6" long. In the pic theres a nickel there for size referance. I havent tried to fire it yet, my bp is really shitty right now.

http://www.freewebs.com/jonny2940/Picture%2023.jpg

peace