APC Forum

What size pumped stars for 3" canister shell?

AldoSPyro

Aldo, my post has nothing to do with laziness, just cylinder shell construction.

WB

Edited by WonderBoy

Only people making thousands of cake inserts in chinese factories jumble mix.

Funny, since i know of people doing it with a lot less then thousands, but rather hundreds. I'm just saying we are using a shortcut to get a much better result then this, while not taking quite as much time as painstakingly stacking the stars one by one.

I'm not entirely sure why people are getting upset even...

B!

Well i've seen all of these methods mentioned here.

Bulk filing without a cannule, it works babut i would never think about using it on something else then a spider type shell.

Using a canulle works great and is fast (calling this a shortcut maybe is the wrong word for most, but why do you gt so exited about it it's just his point of view).

Stacking stars is a great way, specially interesting for colors, with some experience you can stack a 3" in less than 10 minutes.

Drop in enough stars to fill up the core and arrange the stars (best to have a wooden stick, a tweezer for meat and a self closing tweezer for shiming on hand). At the end just invert the casing, drop out the lose stars and slurry prime.

Is this extra work wortn the effort? Again nothing more the builders point of view / preferences.

• 2 years later...

ARISE dead thread!!!

We had a very successful class building Italian shells for beginners at PGI this year. 28 builders, 2 shells each and they were judged by the competition judges. 2 of the judges commented to me that these were the best shells they have ever seen come out of that class. I know, why am I stroking myself?

My wife and I were asked to take over the class this year and we went back to the Fulcanelli papers to pull the class back to traditional building. One of the things mentioned is to leave the canuule in the shell, roll it up with 1 turn of 30 pound kraft and glue it to the top disk.

Then fill it with burst and use the space left between the walls of the can and the canuule to fill with stars and pulverone.

The "jumble" of cut stars is fine, the class got good marks but the time and effort to stack pumped stars makes for much better shells. Next year, we will take all the time that is needed to do so.

Those were some very nice shells Dave!

It was fun to watch em all and see the excitement from everyone