APC Forum

different shell containers used in Indian fireworks

pyrodoc

Hi

These are two different cylundrical shells used in Indian shells.

One is a readymade plastic one wid a.spollette.

I see a lot of flash being used to break.

post-18917-0-77378100-1419999289_thumb.jpg

I am not being able to attach other pics from my cell phone. I need to attach 5 or 6 pics more.

post-18917-0-54686400-1419999959_thumb.jpg

No offence but the first pic looks like an abortion gone wrong. What is the need for the loose cheese cloth on the outside? It also appears to have plenty of string wrapped around the spolette.

The second shell looks much more professional btw.

Being made in India they will recycle most any waste product into a marketable product when possible.

Many people still use dried cow manure to heat their homes with or use charcoal that they make to cook with in the rural areas.

This is a major flaw with fireworks people. A lot of them think it is their way or the highway. This is just another great example of someone using their resources. Fire working is in the eye of the beholder as well as the maker. The audience may not even be wary of what effects are all possible but enjoy those that they see.

• Like 1

Being made in India they will recycle most any waste product into a marketable product when possible.

Many people still use dried cow manure to heat their homes with or use charcoal that they make to cook with in the rural areas.

The thread was just for comments on pyrotechnics. Whether my country is recycling or not isnt related to the thread.

@Jakenblake: no offence taken. This is what the thread is for. I wasnt able attach more pics. It shows lots n lots of flash powder for break.

I have noticed one major difference in the use of flash here. The amount used here is huge.

Pyrodoc,

The point I was making was that most people in India are very resourceful in using materials that are available to them

to make whatever products are needed. Every country around the world with a history of pyrotechnics have developed

their own unique ways of making pyro items. It all comes down to readily available materials in each of these countries.

I like the one where someone digs a hole in the ground to shoot from. That makes for a dirt cheap mortar! :P IIRC that was shown in a Passfire movie clip?

• Like 1

You should see some of the creations I shave successfully launched in the past...don't look pretty 'til they are airborne and burst...

marks265 its special type of soil in Kerla state of India for mortars. you will find it in Kerla only. and the shells they used is only filled with flashpowder maroon shells charged from spollette hole then spollettes are fixed. I was the part of shoot. You will get more details in passfire movie.
  • Like 1

So those are commercial shells? If so I can understand the appearance if cost is the major concern. Still wonder if the cloth is some kind of spiking.

Yea, why coat it in gold when it's going to get blown up anyways...

I could take that a step further and say, why blow up gold in the first place? The stuff on the outside of a shell is much cheaper then what's inside. To each their own I guess.

So those are commercial shells? If so I can understand the appearance if cost is the major concern. Still wonder if the cloth is some kind of spiking.

I think the cloth here is a part of spiking.

As Rohit pointed out even i have seen only flash powder for breaks in upto 3 inch shells.

marks265 its special type of soil in Kerla state of India for mortars. you will find it in Kerla only. and the shells they used is only filled with flashpowder maroon shells charged from spollette hole then spollettes are fixed. I was the part of shoot. You will get more details in passfire movie.

Well that would be pretty cool if we see you in the movie. You will have to point yourself out when it is released. I always wanted some of the shell cases they were selling or giving towards sponsorship. I gave several times this last year and really didn't plan it out to get the shells.

Mark

No offence but the first pic looks like an abortion gone wrong. What is the need for the loose cheese cloth on the outside? It also appears to have plenty of string wrapped around the spolette.

String is wrapped around to prevent shell from being flower pot If just in case suppose hole drilled to plastic ball do not matches outer diameter of spolette,so instead of hot glue it is secured with string and sticky glue.

Cotton cloth or glued newspaper pasting is just for reinforcement.

No string spiking is required as shell uses flash burst not Black powder burst.

maybe they prime it with flash ;)

• Like 1

most probably black powder compositions for priming in flash burst.

Considering the cost of aluminium, why do they use so much flash ??

Because the flash makes the breaks bigger and farther. Makes a small shell appear larger in the sky. Steven I was thinking something along those lines.

Edited by Jakenbake

I primed a lot of stars with black powder based compositions and anything with flash would cause them to go blind. I really like to know how they prime them, maybe with armstrong's mix??

• Like 1

I wonder what they are priming the stars with to get them to light from the flash burst?

Stars are designed to withstand flash burst this means stars are rock hard and designed such a way that it remains stay lit even at high wind velocity.Flash burst also aids igniting stars.

I wonder what they are priming the stars with to get them to light from the flash burst?

Stars are designed to withstand flash burst this means stars are rock hard and designed such a way that it remains stay lit even at high wind velocity.Flash burst also aids igniting stars.

To get big diameter of flower using small size shell.

Preparation of high quality black powder in bulk amount is major issue I think.

Yes I have seen black powder burst in display shells.

as pyrotechnician said flash makes bigger burst it one advantage also the reason behind using flash in Indian shells is in starting Indian fireworks industry is only limited for few items like fountains and crackers. I met old firework families different part of India they told they know only black powder even they used to make maroons from bp . aluminium powder came in use when the consumer fireworks manufacturing started in sivakasi. aluminium powder is main ingredient of sivakasi fireworks industry. so they prefer flash burst. I have seen some display shells in India with flash lift.

We see a move towards more "flashlike" compositions used for burst in commercial units here in Sweden as well. Simply put it's down to legislation. The law puts a strict limit on the amount of reactive stuff you put in the rocket / shell. Using more reactive stuff lets you make more of it. It's also forcing a move towards shells and rocket headings that look like crap. There is very little layering, It's just stars and burst mixed together in the darn thing. This year was mostly about "boom" if you look at the commercial stuff people shot around here.

Sad, really.

B!