APC Forum

Aerial Powder Burst

kilr95ss

Just starting out, shot my first 2" ball shell last night and it did pretty good, just flying fish fuse with FFg burst, wanting to try BP stars next.

Anyway, saw the movie trailer for the new Mad Max: Fury Road. At the 14 second mark in the trailer, there are 3 aerial burst with red and yellow powder. I would really like to try making these, right off, bakaing soda is what I plan on using. Going to make a paste out of it with water and add food coloring then let it dry and grind it up in a coffer grinder. Is there a better option than baking soda?

Edited by kilr95ss

The powdered dyes they use in the "Color Runs" works very well for bursts, there were a few guys playing with it at PGI and found that smaller is better when it comes to the amount of flash you use to break them.

A couple years ago a bunch of us made a couple dozen of these, we just used line chalk, or tempura powdered paints. Dag is right about the amount of flash needed to break the shell open, I found any more than 3-4g just ruins the effect, and more chalk does not necessarily mean more coverage as the chalk will only travel so far from the break.

We used a tube surrounding the time fuse filled with a couple grams of Vitamin F, and capped off. We then filled each hemi completely with chalk/powdered paint. Make sure your powdered paint or chalk WILL NOT mix with the break charge, as this will obviously cause your shell to make a round trip! :ph34r:

Most of these pictured were 4" and 6" ball shells.

http://www.thecalderwoods.org/wpa/WWB-23/content/images/large/_TCP9071.jpg

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

The bursts in the video look like CGI :-) but for the food colouring, if using the liquid ones I wonder if it would effectively dye effectively once dry, you might get a light colour using a lot of it, there's little actual pigment in liquid food colouring.

As said earlier, chalk would be simple, but just to add some ideas, there's some dry powder food colouring, there's dry powder paint pigment...those could get expensive however.